Author Topic: Compost bin, cheap version?  (Read 3023 times)

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
Re: Compost bin, cheap version?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:59 »
The cheapest option of all is just a simple heap ... that's what I've had for 6 months.  I've just dug it over to turn it, and disturb any Meeces that think it's a hotel. 

Next option up the Compost Property Ladder would be to contain your heap, using four stakes and some chicken wire, if you can't get hold of pallets.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 17:27:37 »
even cheaper, as in free,
builders bags
lbb

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 18:44:10 »
Helen I forgot to add that I have just roughly built a pallet 2 year compost bin for the stuff that takes longer to break down and just acquired a builders bag, my next door neighbour puts all his bagged compost over the fence for me so I have lots to go in.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 14:51:13 »
My home composter is just an old black plastic dustbin. I put my kicking boots on and kicked a big hole in the bottom.  Seems to work fine - the worms appear happy in it.  My mix is not ideal, being more kitchen scraps than brown stuff but it seems to be getting on with the job OK.

I would ahve prefered a dalek but the plastic bin was free and going spare.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 21:54:20 »
I use a black plastic dustbin in the back yard for back yard weeds plus kitchen waste - it works just fine but would be far too small for lottie use.

I cut the bottom off and turned it upside down to give it that authentic dalek appearance - I have no idea if this has really made any difference to its composting abilities though. The cut-off bit sits on top as a lid; as it doesn't fit very well the air gets in which I assume helps in some way.

On the lottie I just have a large untidy heap. I'm planning to build a proper one out of pallets one of these days....have been saying that for 2 years now...this winter I REALLY will. No, REALLY.  ::)

netty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 20:12:44 »
I have an old black plastic bin in my garden with a few holes in the bottom it provides me with lovely compost every year.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 20:55:49 »
Thanks for all the tips, everybody. I've managed to cadge two large black bins from Freecycle, will collect at the weekend. The beginning of my compost empire... :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal