Author Topic: Winter Bird Watching, what have you seen today?  (Read 44110 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Winter Bird Watching, what have you seen today?
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2009, 11:34:05 »
it sure sounds like a fieldfare but i'll pour though my books and see if anthing else looks like it.
here is a link to thrushes around the world you might see what you are looking for.

http://www.avianweb.com/thrushes.htm

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:38 »
could it be the dark throated thrush ???

http://10000birds.com/dark-throated-thrush-wales.htm

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2009, 13:18:20 »

Thank you so much thifasmom,      ;)

Definitely a Fieldfare -   rather gorgious isn't he - will enjoy browsing further
   into the web sites you gave me.

Will say our one has a much darker neck ' ring ' than the photo but a definite match,

Thanks again,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2009, 14:07:27 »
Description sounds def. like a fieldfare.   Lovely birds and aggresive as you said.  They chase the blackbirds if there is fruit lying.

:D

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2009, 22:39:21 »
Red Legged Partridges again

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2009, 22:51:50 »
Lovely picture Carol.  You are fortunate to live where you do. It's been a good day for birds in my back garden, which backs onto the Northern Line (overground at this point) but nothing so exotic - just the mistle thrush, robin, blue and great tits, blackbirds, sparrows, magpies and wood pigeons.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2009, 23:30:41 »
I would like the Mistle Thrush again though instead of R L Partridges.   I have been camera happy today and took one of ONE of the Robins  in a tree.  The tree was in focus, Robin was out of focus.  blast!!! I saw a few Heron today when we walked by the river but they were too jumpy and quick for me to get one in focus again. 

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2009, 14:06:58 »
We have had another load of snow, its been snowing since 8am.  I have tried to keep the birds feeding but a thankless task with the snow covering it all up and the birds just looking at it!!!

Surprise surprise though, a pair of Bullfinches sat on the dead shrub in front of the bedroom window but before I got my camera steady  --   gone.  I have also had a couple of Bramblings feeding this week. 

Sick of this snow now, wish it would gooooooooooo

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2009, 15:22:09 »
I thought of you this morning Carol when I saw the weather forecast for the borders. Our snow has almost gone now but may be more forecast for this evening :o
Can't keep up with the bird feeding, they seem extra hungry in this cold weather.  Have recently put niger seed out and have seen an increase in the Gold Finches and even had a couple of Siskins which are rare here lately.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2009, 19:43:48 »
Think we were all taken unaware with todays snow.  It was forecast but 4 inches fell and the schools closed over most of the region. 

We had Siskins last winter and well into summer but no sign of them this winter at all.  I think my birds  caught up with their feeding this afternoon when the snow stopped.  I have felt the cold today though, spose it was with all the trudging about in the snow!!!!    Getting warm now.   ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2009, 20:38:31 »
a treecreeper a treecreeper a treecreeper ;D

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2009, 20:41:53 »
wow, you lucky person you,  I only seen a dead one in our garden about 10 years ago.   ;) ;)

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2009, 20:46:07 »
2 Robins,Blackbirds,Sparrows,Starlings,Wood Pidgeons,Doves,Wren,Dunnock,Blue Tits,Great Tits.Magpies,Seagulls and a flock of Goldfinches......i do put alot of food out every day :)
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2009, 20:56:42 »
a treecreeper a treecreeper a treecreeper ;D
wow, you lucky person you,  I only seen a dead one in our garden about 10 years ago.   ;) ;)

I didn't even know they were around here, but there is a wood on my daughter's primary school boundary and as i was going home after dropping her off this morning i saw one fly and land near the bottom of the oak tree in the school grounds and it began to make its assent which is why i paid closer attention as it was doing in standard treecreeper style. i was grinning from ear to ear all the way home. my daughter who also shares my enthusiasm for bird watching is gutted she didn't get to see it.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2009, 22:52:51 »
I have seen a Tree creeper or two on a number of walks.  OH is great at bird spotting, he has good eyesight for things far away.   :o   I am looking forward to the day I have Nuthatches visit.  They are roundabout my village but not landed yet.   ::) ::)   

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2009, 00:10:10 »
I must be lucky because when I sit at my table I often see a  Treecreeper on the oak tree about 30 yards away. I did put up a wedge shaped nest box last year in the hope that it would use it.
The Nuthatch takes peanuts or sunflower hearts from the feeders the other side of the house. I am hoping that after a gap of four years they return and use the nest box again on the oak tree.
It would be great to have Treecreepers and Nuthatches in boxes I can sit and watch at any time and I am hopeful that the Robins are going to use another box again this year visible from the same window.   

papay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2009, 06:31:18 »
I got a rather pleasing photo of some goldfinches yesterday. Can someone advise how to upload it to share on the forum, please?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2009, 09:39:16 »
if you haven't paid a £10.00 subscription fee which allows you to insert photos directly from your computer via the insert photo tab on the posting page, then there is always this option.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44356.0.html

oh and welcome to the site :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2009, 09:41:10 »
Toadspawn, how lovely!  Treecreepers & nuthatches  ;D  In all my years of wandering around watching the birds, I've only ever seen a treecreeper 3 times.

In my garden today, two doves (they come everyday :)) papa blackbird, a blue tit and a great tit (+ 3 flipping cats)  The tits usually come down in pairs but not today.

papay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2009, 10:19:08 »
Thanks, thifasmom, I'll try that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal