Author Topic: School Green house... potential disaster?  (Read 3080 times)

Rights4Bacteria

School Green house... potential disaster?
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:32 »
Hi everyone, this is my second ever question! :D
I saw some of you discussing the problems of glass green houses and I have just been given a load of land at my North london school to start an allotment with the students. Some of the other teachers have been talking about a greenhouse and I was wondering whether there are any that are made with perspex or some sort of plastic that would prevent loads of smashed glass. Also where might good be a good place to get one?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: School Green house... potential disaster?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:42:24 »
Most of the major manufacturers have a perspex or acrylic glazing option, but at a college near me they have installed a couple of polytunnels, these are also used for some practical lessons throughout the winter months!  ;)
Rgds, Tony.
p.s. Welcome to the site!!
You couldn't make it up!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:59:05 »
Polycarbonate glazing may be worth considering. There is a brief description of the advantages/disadvantages of various glazing materials here:
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/guide.shtml#glazing

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:27:10 »
May I suggest you invest in a polytunnel instead of a greenhouse. Less expense, less worry, same results.

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 18:44:51 »
http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/ do a polycarbonate model, the smallest is about £125.
We had one donated to us from Dontdumpthat. There was no way we could have had a glass one.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 23:22:20 »
Have a greenhouse it is the best thing you will ever have go to the local DIY centre and replace all your glass with plastic. The investment will be well worth it.

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:27 »
I've seen some wonderful ones that are made from plastic bottles. It helps the children understand recycling, gets the community involved and it's smash proof. There are plenty of instructions online that will show you how. The kids help build the house and it gives them a sense of achivment.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 16:01:09 »
When I said about the dangers of glass in greenhouses everyone (most people on here) said I was a 'helicopter mum/grandmother).  I am pleased that it has been agreed that safety glass for school children, or plastic is a must.  I would rather be a 'helicopter grandmother' just more aware of the dangers of glass, ponds with small children.  My daughter has been told not to pick her child up from school when she is 11 as she has to learn about secondary school and probably knife crime and getting lost on the way home.  My daughter can't drive (due to illness) and she will have to walk, travel by bus.  I will be a 'helicopter mother/grandmother') and in the dark evenings would not like her to have to walk home alone.  I will do what I did with my children, take the dog for his evening walk and just happen to be around (hiding behind a tree) to see if they are OK.  I agree I am a 'helicopter grandmother'. 

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 16:17:03 »
I agree with Solorn about the plastic bottle greenhouse, great school project. I am building one on my allotment and the biggest problem is getting the bottles because you need about 1500. This would not be a problem in a school. The Scots 'invented' them and you can get details here.....
http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/reports/greenhouse%20v1.pdf

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 16:52:11 »
mike.jones What a great link just wish i had enough space to build one. Wonder if you could get lean to versions? Have a spare wall where i could put one  :-\

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 17:13:36 »
that is so cool may try a large cold frame made in a similar manner ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 17:39:38 »

Question; I thought Fizzy pop wasn't good for kids ::)

Joking aside...........A brilliant idea what ingenuity  8)

Well done all concerned.

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 21:19:37 »
If you can get an aluminium greehhose donated as many people do to get rid of the don't use the glass but go to B&Q or some other plastics company just replace all the glass with plastic. You could use this glass for a cold frame in a safe corner

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal