Author Topic: tuberous begonias  (Read 1720 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
tuberous begonias
« on: October 24, 2008, 18:54:59 »
well, they grew, they flowered and now the flowers are dying off, before the frosts, do I
1/cut them down
2/leave them to die off
3/bring them into the greenhouse
ta  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: tuberous begonias
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 19:16:10 »
Cut the stems to a couple of inches, turn upside down to allow sap to drain away. When the stems have withered they will come off easily. Cover tuber with dry compost in a dark frost free place ;) 
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 19:17:12 »
Excellent.  I grew them for the first time this year and was wondering what to do with them.  Mind you, one of mine is in a very sheltered spot and is still looking amazing!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:46:50 »
thank you , star..you're a star  ;D

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 22:29:21 »
mine have prospered well by just letting them die down,keep coming back stronger every year
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 13:20:33 »
ours need to be moved to their new home,next year, also, if I left them in, the slugs would 'ave 'em  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 18:21:41 »
mine have prospered well by just letting them die down,keep coming back stronger every year

Are yours in the ground Steve or in pots?  I have mine in pots and have always removed them from the compost and let them dry out before potting them up again the following Spring. I thought I would try leaving them in the pots  this winter and just topping up with fresh compost to bring them into growth next Spring.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 19:32:50 »
in the soil gardengirl..maybe im just lucky,im in oxford and its very rare that we get heavy cold periods
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 20:17:18 »
That's global warming for you; the city's in a dip between the hills, and i remember some cold weather when I was a kid! Every winter the snowploughs would be out at some point, and there would be piles of grey snow along the roadsides for weeks afterwards, slowly melting. Sometimes, in still winter weather, a pool of cold air would form, and the smoke from the chimneys would sink back down into it and sit there in a sort of hazy layer round the houses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal