Author Topic: i found this  (Read 1584 times)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
i found this
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:14:30 »
Hi all, i was looking on the net today and found this link, has anybody used an azadas or mattock, because they have a bad back like me,
are they any good, do they help,   http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/your/access/disability/tony_shockabsorb.shtml
my allotment
heaven

lewic

• Hectare
Re: i found this
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 13:19:11 »
As well as a standard fork and spade I've got an azada, mattock and a right-angled fork thing that is really good for breaking up soil and digging in compost. All give me backache, just in different places!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 13:26:19 »
I use a mattock for breaking hardened ground.  It is a brilliant tool.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 13:35:42 »
I'd also vote for a mattock - a brilliant tool, would always recommend them.
But from that article it seemed that the tools had been adapted to reduce the "shock". As the pictures weren't great I struggled to understand how exactly it all worked - got the general principle ok, and it seemed to involve a lot of foam and tape, so I presume you could adapt your own? I guess it also depends how bad your back is? I have several back injuries and have to take it carefully but it doesn't stop me doing gardening, whereas that article seemed to refer to people who were really struggling with the basics in the garden.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 14:46:29 »
I use mattocks on sight - best thing for the job if you need to quickly break up compacted earth and rocks. 

Once met  bloke with one that had a carbon fibre handle and shock absorbing inserts.  It was wonderful, you could smash it into big lumps of rock and flint without the shock reverberating up your arms as a wooden handled one would.  Damned expensive though.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 15:03:13 »
My Right Angled Fork is my favourite, it's the only thing I can use that does not give me backache and is brilliant for breaking up clay and getting couch and bramble roots out thoroughly. 8) I got mine from the 'Get Digging' website.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 17:44:15 »
I use both Mattock and azada. I have rheumatiod arthritis in my wrists but only problems during a flare up and I can tell you it doesn't matter which tool I use they all hurt during a flare up...which invariably is in spring!

However as I have a back problem as well I have to agree that they all just give you back pain just in different places however the mattock can be beaten for breaking in heavy ground and removing blackberries or roots. The adzada is good after the mattock or for taking the surface off.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 21:14:34 »
I don't often need anything heavier than a garden fork, but a digging hoe definitely has its place. There's nothing like it for getting nettle roots out, as you can get right underneath them easily, and it chops straight through the thickest monsters.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 23:14:12 »
Thanks every body for your views, i've made my mind up and bought an  azadas,  from the get-digging website,
 i'll let you all know how i get on with it in time ;D ;D
my allotment
heaven

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 16:10:32 »
Watch out for the confusion/embarrassment/worried look from the person delivering it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal