Author Topic: Fuffin' virus.  (Read 8070 times)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Fuffin' virus.
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:14 »
Just a word of warning people.

I consider myself to be pretty competent when is comes to a computer. But I have been really screwed up by this and wanted to warn as many people as possible.

DO NOT go anywhere near these 3 programs :

Smart Anti Virus 2009 and Total Secure 2009 also Rapid Antivirus.

Don't know how they appeared but, they have really really caused me a problem. Fake virus warnings and redirecting of my browser, deep infection of my registry and Nigh on impossible to remove, SO FAR.

Also, I would like to make it known that i hope the person who created this has a really bad experience soon. The git.

F.  >:(

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Fuffin' virus.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:53:48 »
Do you have any AV software running as well?

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:02:11 »
Do you have any AV software running as well?

My NAV subscription ran out. D'oh. thouhgt it would be ok until end of month. But no.

I had to go rounds my parents, down load a malware removal tool, which got rid of them, it will not get rid of the Z!lob-CD trojan. Tonight I am going to get a Z!lob remover, get AVG and remove NAV. If that dont work its the restore to factory settings, I am loathe to do this though.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:09:45 »
That's propper bum luck...

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 16:39:51 »
Just so you can all sleep tonight. I got rid of that pesky virus.

Another word of note, I have always used Norton to protect my pc and have done from day one. NO MORE. For those who dont know, AVG rocks. There were 63 virus infections on my PC which Norton had not got. Give it a go see if it helps.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 18:54:44 »
Did you use free AVG Flunky? If so, was it easy to install, programme its virus run and not slow your PC down while it was working?

Able

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 19:38:57 »
I always find it ok. Abe  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 20:15:05 by Able »

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 20:17:09 »
Did you use free AVG Flunky? If so, was it easy to install, programme its virus run and not slow your PC down while it was working?

Doesnt appear to be, runing ok at the mo, fingers x. I found it really easy to use.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 20:38:30 »
We have a prog called WinPatrol Plus. Thus runs in the background and will not allow any unauthorised alterations to the Computer. It does slow Start up down a little, but not so much that it becomes a problem. It asks before any alterations to the Registry are allowed.
Gardening is the great leveller.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 23:45:57 »
Glad you got it sorted Flunky, we had Norton , got a virus and had to go back to factory settings......lost everything!

We have been using AVG for a while now, I like it :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 20:43:16 »
got a virus and had to go back to factory settings......lost everything!

I know this may sound silly but doesn't anyone make backups at all? My system backs itself up every hour to an external 500Gb hard drive.

I tried running anti virus software once, slowed the system down too much, never ever found any so I got rid of it.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 22:03:23 »
This is all related to Windows.

I set-up my main computer with a Vi-Power caddy for the system HDD. I have two drawers, one with XP and the other with Ubuntu/Linux. I use an ext USB HDD to store all data. I use the Ubuntu system for any online stuff as it is not affected by any virus. The XP HDD is only used (offline) for peripherals which are Windows specific, Canon Printers & Scanners, Olympus voice recorder and Epson Photo scanner.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 22:10:39 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 22:18:31 »
After being hit with a particularly nasty virus myself, which took 3 days to rip out of my system (Norton was useless) I downloaded AVG and have never looked back.  But I also use SuperAntiSpyware which gets rid of all sorts of pests, I run this once a week and also Spybot Search and Destroy (all free versions).  I would recommend using all of these programs, I've not had a problem since.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:43 »
Just had someone in to repair my computer, got a virus and he has installed AVG security, paid for this.  Thing is I have lost the sound.  He told me to check lead, which has been done and says the speakers have gone, but it worked before but must admit a bit random.  I think it is just the settings and don't want to get him back if it is simple (more money).  Anyone know how to check the sound, don't even get the annoying bleep on spider solitaire. Thanks.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 10:04:20 »
I would check you sound card drivers. Maybe remove / reinstall. I would also say that if the sound card worked before he sorted it. It would be his responsibility to ensure that it still worked when he finished.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 14:22:38 »
I know this problem all too well. I was on the PC yesterday when a message appeared about a spyware infection, and i should download and install 'antispywarexp 2009'. Naively i did even though I have Norton Internet security 2008. The software did a 'scan' and then told me i would have to pay money to register the product and remove the infections discovered.  This i did not want to do. I then discovered my norton software had stopped working, and would neither work, uninstall or reinstall afresh. All the time this (now annoying) seemingly innocent windows message keeps popping up to tell me i have a spyware infection.

I have run several antispyware scans (adaware software installed on the pc and an online microsoft one. Whilst they have removed other spyware the 'big one' is still present and will not be shifted.

I am reluctantly considering the rather drastic step of doing a complete system reset. I say reluctant since it will take time and remove all my software bar windows (personal data protected thankfully), with no guarantee of sucess.

Any advice please?

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 14:41:02 »
You may have to use another PC because this malcious little aris will probably hijack your explorer.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

get these 2 progs and save them to desktop or a free standing storage device.

Start windows in "safemode" press F8 during startup.

Dont run any drivers or other programs.

use malware first then use AVG, you are looking a Z!lob-CD trojan or similar.

there is another killer which i cant find at the mo but will have a another look.

Try this beofre you do anything else, have you rude icons no your desk top ? are you seeing "total secure 2009" or anything similar ?

P.s Also if these two fail (they should sort it) search for Z!lob killer in google. there are specific programs that kill it.

P.P.s Sorry about the pps business, you will need to remove Norton before installing AVG. dont worry about people saying it is slow, this is easily dealt with.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 14:58:58 by Flunky »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 15:01:44 »
 :-\

Anyone spot the similarities in these posts? Norton, spawn of the devil and completely useless. How they have the nerve to charge I do not know.

Rant over...

;)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 15:17:40 »
:-\

Anyone spot the similarities in these posts? Norton, spawn of the devil and completely useless. How they have the nerve to charge I do not know.

Rant over...

;)

Up until this i would of argued in favour in NAV everytime. People have been telling me for ages to switch to AVG, I pooh poohed it. Not anymore, In case you dont know, to speed up AVG you turn off Heuristics in advance set up. makes a world of difference.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 16:49:58 »
I'm touching wood as I type this, but I've used Pc-Cillin ever since being introduced to it by the tech support at my last job. Seems to have done the job so far......

Had Norton before that and vowed never to use again...hmmmm, a pattern does seem to be emerging  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal