Author Topic: So what do you think I should do?  (Read 1406 times)

Kea

• Hectare
So what do you think I should do?
« on: October 21, 2008, 18:39:50 »
The parish council kindly had loads of free manure delivered. Raw manure. One load was dumped on my post and wire mesh fence and went about 1/2 metre on to my plot. I had to dig my fence out not once but twice. After the first time while I was on holiday other allotmenteers not liking the dried up stuff on the top pushed it back onto my fence (I had cleared a metre and a bit from my original fence line so over 2 metres it took 3 hours!). When i finally cleared it for the second time almost all the manure had been taken away, to straighten my fence I had to pull out my fence post (2 ft into the ground) turns out the reason for the extreme lean was that it was almost snapped in two just below ground level.

To buy the posts originally I drove about 7 miles away to a farm supplier and they cost me nearly £2 each.

The question is having just got the rent bill with a £10 rise am I justified in charging for the cost of replacing a post or does it look petty? bearing in mind the cost of petrol as well!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: So what do you think I should do?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 18:44:43 »
For a few pounds I wouldn't bother even though the rent has gone up £10.  I don't bother much about anything to do with my allotment as I just love it so, and what it costs it costs.

Sinbad

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 19:40:21 »
even if you dont bill them it would certainly be worthwhile making them aware of what happened and how much it cost you both in time and effort, it was extremely thoughtless of them and it wouldnt hurt for them to know this,
in my humble opinion of course

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 19:45:27 »
I would be inclined to let the council know about the problems the delivery is causing.  It is probably a case of carelessness - reverse the truck and dump the load, without considering the edges of plots etc.  Let them know that this has caused damage to your plot.

to attempt to claim back the money is probably going to require more energy than it is worth.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 19:48:36 »
I think I would temporarily remove the fence until after the next load is delivered then quickly put it back round the pile and claim it all as yours.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 19:50:15 »
It does not say much about other plot holders shoving the rubbish parts into your plot.   I would agree with debster and let them know what has been happening.  Plus if you tell them before you pay your rent,  you may get a reduction to your rent renewal - such as last years prices ;)  
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 19:57:30 »
I would agree with what smp1704 says and do what eristic says aswell,  ::) ;D ;)
my allotment
heaven

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 21:25:33 »
I think I would temporarily remove the fence until after the next load is delivered then quickly put it back round the pile and claim it all as yours.

Exactly what I was going to suggest to the very last cylable.

I wish my council delivered free manure, I have to pay £10 a load... But at least it's all mine  ;D
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 08:26:53 »
I have the same kind of problem ... cars and trucks driving over the edge of "my" plot.  Denting the fence, crushing the flowers I've put in there.  Always happens when you're not there (they're more careful if someone is watching them).

I have now put old tyre planters as "bumpers" in front of the fence, so they hit that before they hit the fence.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:53:05 »
Actually the manure delivery was completely unexpected and completely out of character. I had already ordered a ton of well rotted horse manure £40 delivered. I may have paid a lot but my manure is much better quality, comes from an source which only uses organic products on their horses including medicines. While the PC manure was 'crap', it will take 18 months to be any use and wormer had been quite obviously been used on the cows so there was noting living in it. I have kept the manure I moved off my fence but not on my plot don't want to kill my worms.

I think I will give them the choice send 2 cheques one representing the damage and the other minus the first. I'll leave it up to their conscience, after all we've been given new contracts to sign as well and one of the new clauses is that if someone damages something on someone else's plot they have to pay for the damage..that rule must cover the PC...after all they are the main culprits. They're lucky it's not a bigger bill; one of the groundsmen built a bonfire on the track between my shed and my allotment neighbours, the sheds are 10 feet apart!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal