Author Topic: What will you be growing/not growing next year?  (Read 6904 times)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
What will you be growing/not growing next year?
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:39:57 »
Hi, just wondered if anyone had great success stories this year or failures that weren't worth the bother growing.

I am going to try to be really selective with my choice of seeds next year.  I am definitely going to grow Franchi CLIMBING FRENCH BEAN ANELLINO GIALLO and COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA.  Both looked a bit strange but we have a freezer full of beans that have a great flavour and are not a bit stringy and the courgettes keep well and don't go mushy when you cook them.  I am not going to bother with primo cabbages as they seem to get eaten by everything, I didn't have much success with khol rabi or cauliflowers either this year either.

Ali

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: What will you be growing/not growing next year?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:03:30 »
I have only had my plot for a couple of months, next year will be my first year so i will try and grow everything.

I have some veg in at the moment that was bought as plug plants and they are doing really well. I bought some fruit bushes and getting fruit trees.

I plan to grow lots of small amounts of everything, i might call my plot the Ark and grow two of each ;D
Then the year after i will probably have loads of other stuff to try after all the seed swaps on here :)

Neil

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:30 »
New stuff I currently have overwintering for a first time include "Winter density"lettuce, Deakin F1 Caulis that should hopefully produce in December,  spring cabbages and winter-hardy spring onions in the ground as a first.  I have had great success with carrots after planting them in containers.  My Carmen cucumbers also produced huge fruit in abundance.  My Rasberry canes have all produced loads.  Some of my list below will just be a change of varieties.  Others will be new veggie additions to my plot.

Pront baby beetroot
Trafalgar F1 - as a late brussels sprout
Parthenon F1 calabrese - early
Sampson F1 calabrese - late
Garlic
Herbs - Rocket, Basil Siam Queen,  Marigold mexican, Lemon Balm, Hyssopus Tricolour, Parsley
Leek - Bandit
Butternut Squash - Harrier F1
Pea - Alderman - mid-late
Pea - Feltham first - early
Sprouting seeds - loads
Tomato - Stoners Exhibition
Cherry tomato - Bambini F1
Green manures

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:28:42 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:23:05 »
we're trying a few new varieties next year, won't be growing yellow climbing beans, all we got were huge, flat pods with no beans, maybe we did something wrong, I lost the packet so don't know what  ;D
we're getting seeds for fillbasket sprout, after them being reccommended on here
carrot berlicum mid seson
squash golden nuggett, bush variety
picasso and yellow moon shallots

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:33:33 »
we're getting seeds for fillbasket sprout, after them being reccommended on here
I grow these and get loads of huge sprouts per plant, at least 50 or so.  They grow tall so will need staking.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:37:51 »
thanks, kt..no problem, Ray stakes all the sprouts with 2x2 stakes, like the rock of gibraltar, ours  ;D
he knocked the top off one of the red ones at the weekend  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 13:26:31 »
hi alipally - I will definitely be growing more pak choi - the one I tried was Sementi, really tasty, and definitely need to sort out the successional sowing. I won't bother (unless I have loads of spare room) with a dwarf bean Sungold, it was pretty tasteless, although it seemed quite a good cropper. I'm also planning on Pink fir Apples again - so yummy   ;D ;D

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 14:09:03 »
I'm trying over wintering onions this year, and next year I will have more raspberries.  I'll also do more peas, and parsnips.  My veg list isn't great, but I'm still learning.
I'm not sure about potatoes next year, they all seem to get blight and I end up with teenies.  Maybe invest in some stuff to prevent it.
I'll also probably grow slugs as well, shame to spoil a good thing!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 15:15:24 »
Loads more shallots, got a really good crop of Jermor this year with far fewer going soft and they are so strong they make your eyes water!

Marathon Calabrese...super large plants.

Paramor yellow courgettes, compact bushy plants and much better then 'Jemmer'.

'Witchhill' potatoes and 'Charlotte'..both excellent crops this year. I'll try and get some varieties at the Potato day at Ryton that I haven't tried before, now I have a bit more room on my other plot!

Not trying melons! Carrots only in containers as well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 15:30:21 »
Franchi CLIMBING FRENCH BEAN ANELLINO GIALLO and COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA. Ali

I also grew Rugosa Friulana courgettes and was very impressed with them, will definitely grow them again next year.  Havn't tried anellino giallo beans but they sound lovely so will give them a try too.
I grew Anya potatoes and got a good crop of very tasty potatoes, Armstrong runner beans were good too. I grew many different varieties of tomatoes but for me, nothing is better than Sungold.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 17:08:51 »
One thing I won't bother with again is Asapargus Peas.  They grew well, and were heavy croppers, but I just don't like them!  (Fortunately they were free)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 18:04:12 »
Having grown melons for the first time (Minnesota Midget,  & Magenta F1-but only two small ones) I've got the bug and am even reducing the number of chilli plants' to make room for  Sweetheart F1 (under glass) and Collective Farm Woman (outdoor) as well.

Also very pleased with first cucumber plant: the half size, all female cucumber Petita F1 - apparently now replaced by Passandra, but there are a lot of similar ones to choose from.

Will try some outdoor varieties as well next year, including something called a Cucumber Melon (Mira F1) ???

Blauhilde - purple climbing bean was a prolific cropper over a very long season.

Decided the return for borlotti (half a bowl of dried beans) doesn't justify the space on our small plot. Ditto pea beans and canellini. (Seeds will be offered in due course, although we'll probably eat the canellini since they came in quite a large box!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 19:52:41 »
More pea varieties. I've just acquired a massive cold frame - no glass unfortunately - and I'm not sure what I'll be growing in that. I'll certainly be able to do a bit more with tender veg.

miusty

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 20:35:30 »
As i've said before I am limited to space so I am going to grow less runner beans next year.  I don't really like them, but I grow them for my partner and the kids.  I realised this year though, they just like growing them and aren't so keen to eat them LOL what a waste of bed that was!  Will definately do more peas next year. None of them actually made it to the kitchen though, all got eaten as they were being picked ;)

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 14:28:33 »
On my list of things to try is hamburg parsley if space allows, just for roasting the roots.

I'm not going to bother with peas so much (did 5 varities this year) as they really suffered from pea moth catterpillars and some of the aerly peas were very floury when mature and when picked small you'd need 1000 to make a mouthfull, I think next year I'll only do Meteor as an early and Telephone as a main. Otherwise in the legumes patch it'll be climbing french beans and maybe a couple of courgette plants to fill the patch.

One other change will be a taller sweetcorn variey, my variety this year was organic bicolour but the plants were quite short and mice/magpies got the lot!

Less carrots next year - four rows this year, and the two rows picked have filled a freezer drawer.

Also going to manure the calabrese bed as non headed up this year.

Going to ditch King Edwards and plant more Cara.

Ummm.... think that's it for now.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 17:49:29 »
Definitely growing more:
sweetcorn
beetroot
carrots
peas
As I never seem to grow enough of these.

Going to try:
Sweet dumpling and acorn squashes, and hopefully get more than 1 tiny butternut squash next year too.

Not going to grow Marmande toms - they were lovely but took ages to ripen and were the first to succumb to blight. Going to try another beefsteak variety, if possible a more blight-resistant one.

Also not going to grow dwarf peas again as they just didn't really grow - going to stick with Alderman which doesn't seem to have a problem.

Perhaps my approach is wrong though and I should be planning to grow a huge crop of ferns, mushrooms and watercress...this would ensure that there is hot sun all summer... ;) 

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 21:50:12 »
Definitely growing more strawberries. They're planted already. Don't know variety as they're from my neighbour, but they are delicious! Also raspberries, and tayberry. Potatoes - growing King Edward, rocket and Wilja again. Going to try golden wonder and Catriona and Valor. Not growing Picasso as I lost so many to slugs, despite using nematodes and every single type of pellet I could try! Also going to try butterhead lettuce, climbing peas and purple beans, leeks, garlic, shallots and onions. Not bothering with aubergines, as they have been hopeless for the past 2 years. My aim is to succeed with carrots next year. This years were still rather too small - probably my fault as the soil still wasn't good enough and I grew them too thickly. The one small patch where the soil is a good deep tilth they grew beautifully! Sweetcorn - I tried both the full size and mini pop this year. The mini ones were more successful so i'll be growing those again. Cabbages - January King and Ormskirk (not very original, I know, but we like the taste!) I'm also going to try another savoy (not sure which yet) and a pointed type cabbage. Courgettes were a disaster this year, but I've grown them in the past, so I'll try again next year. Cucumbers were another disaster, but I'm trying again next year. Tomatoes did ok, thanks to declaring chemical warfare against the blight - it was very bad in the SW! I think I'll probably concentrate on the cherry tomatoes though as they seemed tastier. I'm sure I'll think of other things later!
Kitty Katt

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 22:11:33 »
less space taken over by cukes,allthough none was wasted.
more carrots,my favoutite
try peas again not tried for 4 years after my first losses and disapointment im use to losses and gluts now so im not scared of those pesky mices,bring it on tom........
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 22:45:22 »
Hopefully I wont get tempted to grow celery again :)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 10:44:27 »
Apart from the usual stuff, I'm delighted with my filderkraut cabbage and celeriac.

Will also..

Try EVEN HARDER to get a huge crop of big juicy beetroot,
Lots of tomato varieties
Mega swedes.
Brussel sprouts that dont flop over

I like overwintering stuff best really.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal