Author Topic: winter fuel payment  (Read 4786 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
winter fuel payment
« on: October 22, 2008, 22:39:52 »
spend your winter fuel payment on heating and not on booze fags and xmas and run a 2000watt heater for 13.5 weeks night and day

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: winter fuel payment
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:18 »
Brilliant advice, thanks! Are you still waiting for yours to come through?!?!  :)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 14:24:19 »
i forgot to add the  £10.00 xmas bonus

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 22:02:14 »
The £10 xmas bonus does not go up with inflation... funny that  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 22:24:22 »
Not quite understanding, Jim, but hey! that's my default position 8)

I'm agreeing that, for those eligible to receive it, the winter fuel payment shoud be used for just that....a contribution towards a winter (Nov through February?) fuel cost - it's not to pay the total winter fuel cost but should certainly help to make winter heating bills a lot more affordable and agree that its purpose is not for Xmas prezzies , etc.etc.etc.

But Jim, what I'm not understanding is the exhortation to run a 2000w electric? heater......how much does one of those cost for someone who doesn't have one and how would that cut into the total payment the govt. allows for winter heating? And which electric supplier will give the most fave rate?

But the £10.00 Xmas bonus. Hands Orf Jim meLad!....that's not changed for years, an it's a Tradition....that £10 is for Riotous Livin...... ;D ;D ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:06 »
If you take a typical low user's charge of 10p per unit, it would cost you 20 p an hour for a 2000W heater - assuming it's not switching itself on & off (which is unlikely). It's more likely that a heater of this size in a room with the door shut would be on about half the time, so 10p an hour, £2.40 a day... £4.80 if you don't shut the door!

How much is the allowance?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 15:22:37 »

It was £200 per household, but it has been increased to £250, and I shall spend my £125 on brandy. ;D

valmarg

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 15:30:06 »
I think my sister (86) gets more than I do so maybe you get a higher rate when you reach 80? I am now looking forward to free TV licence, can't be bad.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 15:35:11 »

It was £200 per household, but it has been increased to £250, and I shall spend my £125 on brandy. ;D

valmarg

Good for you val! Central heating from within, and at least if it doesn't warm you up you'll be too pi$$ed to notice!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 15:39:46 »
Yeh. mines known as the winter gin allowance, but no cigarretes this year, (apart from the odd Bob Marley)  Don't knock it, it is great for the aches and pains.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 16:51:18 »
if wit was s**t  you would be constipated

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 17:27:53 »

Now then Jim, why are you so intent on confronting people. You would not say it to our faces in the pub, so why do it here. Nobody on here has any axe to grind with you, so what have we done to upset you?

Do you have a drink problem? because it sometimes reads like that. If this is the case just imagine your computor is a car and don't use it until you sober up.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 17:39:38 »
No, I'm the one with the drink problem - just love the stuff!!

But gave up the other vice 30 years ago so I deserve it.

As to heating - has anyone put theirs on yet? We shall probably put an off-peak heater on in a few weeks time.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 18:00:54 »

As to heating - has anyone put theirs on yet? We shall probably put an off-peak heater on in a few weeks time.

brrrrr! Yes, yes, yes and yes! Had it on even in August on the days it was needed in here. And yes, I, and my furniture/books etc needed it.  >:(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 18:09:10 »
we've had ours on for an hour a night for a couple of weeks now..and with ray being ill,it's on in the day, only to 15 degrees  though  :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 18:52:33 »

'ark at pot.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 18:56:51 »
I think my sister (86) gets more than I do so maybe you get a higher rate when you reach 80? I am now looking forward to free TV licence, can't be bad.

lorna, I think for the over 80's it is £400 per household, but am not entirely sure as we've got a bit to go to qualify, and for the free TV licence.

valmarg

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 19:39:27 »
valmarg woohoo next Birthday free TV licence for me.. I am going to stay with my sister on 1st Nov for 2 weeks (I keep her company when her son and d.i.l  who live next door are in Australia each year). Maybe I can help her spend her "extra". Only joking, she never lets me pay a penny, she always remarks that I pay for my dog to be in kennels and she is so glad to have company.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 20:10:42 »

We have had ours on twice since last Spring, one hour one day just to take the chill off and for four hours last week.  It's nippy here tonight but I have my thermal vest on, a warm blouse and a thick sweatshirt but I may have to put the heating on in a minute just to warm the house up.

We have put in a lot more insulation though and the house is much warmer than it used to be.  It retains the heat better too.  It now has cavity wall insulation and a good layer in the loft.  Our utility room is of single brick...built in 1959, so OH lined the walls with insulation and what a difference this made.  He had to replace the flat roof on our kitchen a few years back and it had no insulation in there at all.  He took the opportunity of putting that right. 

Our next job is to buy some rolls to line the outside walls in the loft and put it along the rafters.  We have a big house and it costs a lot to heat so although it has and still will cost a lot to insulate, in the long term we will use far less oil. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 16:55:56 »
Tim, not one to quibble but doesn't the aga keep you pretty warm anyway. When I read your post I thought I must be nesh. We put ours on 2 weeks ago for a couple of hours a day. Then I remembered how warm it was at my daughters, we spent most of our time in the kitchen.
Janet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal