Author Topic: Best Tasting Variety: Calabrese  (Read 918 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Best Tasting Variety: Calabrese
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:44:14 »
This year I grew several different sorts, but the one that impressed me the most was Sakura ...

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the best) I would definitely give it a 5 in every respect.  The flavour was knockout.   8)

This one is an early producer, and the plants were smaller and more compact than some I have grown.  Once the main large head has been cut, they are  also good at producing loads of side shoots.   :D

It seems to freeze well too  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Best Tasting Variety: Calabrese
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:49 »
I was given some plug plants of calabrese this year,  variety unknown.  My OH said they were all delicious and a decent size.  Next year I intent to go for an early and a late variety. (Hope they turn out good ::))

Parthernon F1 - Sow Feb/mar - Harvest Jun/Aug
Sampson F1    - Sow May/Jun - Harvest Sep-Oct
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:16:39 »
I grew Marathon F1 and Samson F1 this year both very good - although after I had the main head off the Marathon the sideshoots went to seed really quickly - faster than I could eat them anyway and I only had 6 plants in.

I'll have a look at the Sakura you mentioned.  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 15:20:27 »
I grew Marathon and Parthenon this year, not much to choose between them, but I think Marathon produced larger main heads. I also could not keep up with mine! I also tried Waltham 2G, but it looked very small and weedy compared to the other two and just did not do as well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal