Author Topic: Bug could halt spread of superweed  (Read 3715 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Bug could halt spread of superweed
« on: October 13, 2008, 19:39:23 »
This could be good.  Don't know how it will affect the UK eco system though.  Check this possible insecticide out:

http://environment.uk.msn.com/news/headlines/article.aspx?cp-documentid=10115502
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Bug could halt spread of superweed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 21:55:48 »
they've been touting this since '06, it also eats other plants!
You couldn't make it up!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:26 »
what i read up on was it was only to suck on Japenees Knot weed im proberly wrong but would be nice as i suffer withthis on our site sick of digging all those white roots out get everywhere . glad i havent horse tail thats got to be the worst !!!!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 15:05:08 »
The problem I have with introducing 'control' bugs is, what happens to them when  they have outlived their usefulness.

The Australians introduced the cane toad to control rats.  They no longer have rats, but they have loads and loads of cane toads.

valmarg

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 18:57:13 »
Typical human behaviour.  Years ago, ignorant Victorians messed with nature and introduced knotweed.  Modern solution, mess with nature even more to make it 'better'.  When will we learn? ::)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 21:17:17 »
I think, with regard to the japanese knotweed, the victorian plant hunters unbeknowingly found a right thug, and introduced into the UK.

The plant hunters had found some wonderful varieties of plants to introduce into the UK, but unfortunately the japanese knotweed was not one of them.

valmarg

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:16 »
Selective pests eh  :-\  I have got to agree with Clanger ..We will reap what we sow . Ain't we got enough pests without importing more ?..
Cheers .. Jim

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 16:48:41 »
If you look back to my first posting on this thread, I think it was me that advised caution.  I quoted the case in Australia of the cane toad.

What might seem like 'a good idea at the time', could well come back to haunt you. ;D ;D

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 17:39:50 »
If you look back to my first posting on this thread, I think it was me that advised caution.  I quoted the case in Australia of the cane toad.

What might seem like 'a good idea at the time', could well come back to haunt you. ;D ;D

valmarg

And there was the case with Giant African snails on some island - the predator preferred the local snail that was being endangered...  ::)

I say live with knotweed - better the devil you know! At least knotweed isn't endangering any native species.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:47:16 »

I say live with knotweed - better the devil you know! At least knotweed isn't endangering any native species.
In a way its is,as it chokes our native species out.but i agree with growmore we don't need to import yet another pest.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 16:31:42 »

In a way its is,as it chokes our native species out.but i agree with growmore we don't need to import yet another pest.

Oh, I didn't realise. What's it choking?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 20:23:15 »

once it get established nothing will grow under it.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 20:25:11 »
I'm just bitter - I have to live with Marestail... we all have our crosses!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 20:39:16 »

once it get established nothing will grow under it.
quote]

Neat glyphosate painted on the leaves does a brilliant job of inhibiting new growth.

valmarg

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 23:26:47 »
even poison manure doesnt kill marestail
lbb

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 20:11:02 »
Spring bulbs and Cyclamen will grow happily under Jaanese knotweed. the Council's currently dealing with it, but we've had some massive stands on the site, thanks to a former committee member who allegedly introduced it, and certainly spread it round the site.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:22 »
According to the November issue of the RHS magazine The Garden- "The project to release the psyllids will go to public consultation ahead of a proposed release in summer next year if it is approved.
www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/non-native/knotweed.htm

valmarg

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:03 »
They may consult us, but In my opinion at the end of the day they will do as they want ..Will this be another imported quick fix that will come back and bite us? It's a lot easier to release stuff than to sort it out once it goes pear shaped.

Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal