Author Topic: AGA SAGA  (Read 8759 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
AGA SAGA
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:34:28 »
One for the theorists.

One tends to use it for everything because it's there. But would it not be more efficient/economical to use an Electric Kettle?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: AGA SAGA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:04:34 »
Too many variables for my addled brain I'm afraid, but I'd be interested in the answer. I've always fancied an AGA but wondered about things like too much heat in summer (when I cook our kitchen gets really hot), whether it is ecologically sound and cost versus what I have now.

They cost a lot too and I'd need to make structural changes to fit one in the bricked up fireplace, still they are very attractive.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:17:32 »
I have always fancied one,a red one,however if I am honest I want it more as a style statement.My Cannon cooker is more than adequate for my cooking needs and I know from people who have them they can be a bit of a nightmare. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:33:48 »
You're so right Betula, for me it would simply be another pretty toy, functional but hardly necessary. Mind you I am a bit of a geek where gadgets are concerned. :-[ :-[ :P

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 14:14:11 »
excellent question Tim - we have an Aga and i think it depends on your kettle, thick bottomed kettles will take longer but apart from that I would reckon no difference when boiling the same amount of water

it is a bit like the quandary with cold fill appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines - new ones only ever come with cold fill now as I guess the ecologists reckon it costs less to heat small amounts of cold water as opposed to filling up used hot water - not with us as we have a huge hot water tank, heated by the Aga which we now cannot use and our electricity bill has shot up (not because of prices rises either)

betula - an Aga is like the warm heart of a house (ours is red  :)) and provides a warm backdrop even when central heating isn't on - doesn't seem to be a problem in summer, nothing to go wrong with them really as they are almost contraption free, designed by a man who was blind, hence the lack of gadgetry

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 14:33:50 »
Oh stop it...............I feel an Aga coming on ;D

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 15:47:27 »
a six hour cinnamon rice pudding cooked in the bottom Aga is to die for  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 17:03:33 »
Or 7 hour Lamb. And perfect Rice in the bottom oven and.................!!

Ecological? Probably not. And there's always the annual service. But they are working on it. For a couple in a flat, obviously de tros, but for an extended family in a country house, most certainly yes. Forgetting its water heating, it's the centre of the home & our main heat for most of the year. We mostly live & eat in the kitchen & run a cold house, so make significant savings there. Then there's the clothes drying; always a dry tea towel; even ironing on the plate covers; drying pans (no dishwasher); pre-warming dishes & melting butter etc.

And, back to the boiling of water, one seldom counts the cost of usage but our 9 (?) pint kettle is always on the stove top & most always hot, taking only moments to come to the boil. No - we'll boil a separate cup for tea aficionados!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 17:06:19 by tim »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 18:03:19 »
Oh stop it Tim!! You're reminding me of all the reasons I want one!  ;D ;D And I always have.  Point is though I don't really need one...... Which reminds me about some comments that I was making on another thread about people that don't need them buying 4 by 4s. Am I being two-faced here? They shouldn't but I should?? But then if I can afford it....?? :-\ :-\ :-X

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 18:56:00 »
so agree about the drying of anything you fancy, even socks  8) an alternative view, just for betula  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 18:58:45 »
Pretty please can I look too? ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 19:15:46 »
No,you said you don't need unnecessary things. :)

Now me on the other hand.............come to mummy little red Aga :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 20:12:12 »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( We wants it the preciousssss

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:19:25 »
Snap on Quarries, Calendula?

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:06:25 »
 ;D  ;D grawc and betula

yes the tiles look the same Tim, ours were cheap Fired Earth, they seem to have to go together Aga and terracotta tiles, all adds to the warm and homely feel, with a kettle always nearby and a cosy chair - you are never alone with an Aga (just trying to wind up the girls  ;D)

surely someone has a got a blue one but I reckon a green one for graw and red for betula  8)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 12:31:23 »
Green? No! But will Daughter-next-door's do??

Cons? Must say that, even in a 15'x19' kitchen, with windows on 2 sides, we do turn it right down for our 4 days of Summer.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:53 »
AGAs inspire me with at least some of the 7 deadly sins!!! We have a Chinese slate floor -mainly green with splashes of yellow. Will that do?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 17:36:44 »
The yellow is nice..............but red is still my fave :P

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 17:45:30 »
Mine too - the deeper red rather than the lighter one! I actually have a cooker that colour already I like it so much but it isn't an AGA. On the other hand having had a google I'm not sure I'm willing to fork out all that money even for a thing of such beauty!! + installation and building works and delivery. :o :o

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 18:29:16 »

OH and I were drafted to a 600yr + pub in darkest Somerset many moons ago, we managed and catered.
    There in the ancient kitchen were 3 Aga's all in a row, black as the ace of spades and full of dirt
and ash - twas a sad sight, they hadn't been used in years !
     Thankfully we had a fully fitted kitchen to fill our needs as I didn't know one end of an aga from another !!

Would love to know how they work and how you manage the heat regulations for, say a sponge
cake and anything that you have to alter the temp during cooking for .

Do love them as they remind me of my Nan's black range that always had a singing kettle on it.
My Dad took ours out of the house after the war - wonder where they went ?

floss x
Hertfordshire,   south east England

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal