Author Topic: Propagating Wisteria  (Read 3583 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Propagating Wisteria
« on: August 23, 2004, 12:36:22 »
Can anyone tell me for definate whether it is possible to propagate a wisteria from cutings?

I know of a nice specimen which I can get cuttings from easily (and with permission ;D), but any other method would be difficult.

If cuttings are a no-no, what is the best method?

Thanks

Hugh_Jones

Re:Propagating Wisteria
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 15:00:58 »
Wisteria is difficult to propagate from cuttings.  However, as it won`t cost you anything it is always worth a try with ripewood cuttings in late September, using plenty of silver sand.

The traditional method is by bench grafting onto seedlings (which is all that most wisteria seedlings are good for), but the modern practice (as with rhodos, avaleas, camellias and most other difficult subjects) is by cell culture, which requires labaratory conditions.

Personally I am fortunate in that my W. sinensis provides me with a regular supply of long shoots low down on the plant and I have no difficulty in rooting layerings from them - it takes about 18 months - from which I have populated my pergola, supplied all the family, and provided a few for the charity stall.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 17:14:15 »
Wisteria is difficult to propagate from cuttings.  However, as it won`t cost you anything it is always worth a try with ripewood cuttings in late September, using plenty of silver sand.

Ok thanks Hugh,

Couple of questions. When you say 'ripewood' i take it you mean 'hardwood' cuttings? If so how long should the cutting be?

Assuming i do things 'right', how long do the cuttings take to root?

Many thanks

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 18:41:27 »
By `ripewood` I mean the thoroughly ripened wood of this season`s growth.  I regard `hardwood` as being from the previous or earlier season`s growth.

Take the cuttings about a foot long (from the base of the shoot - the top part is too soft), of which a half should be buried.  If they take you must leave them undisturbed for at least 18 months.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 18:42:32 by Hugh_Jones »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 22:46:27 »
I grew my first wisteria from seed, when I was a nipper, about the same time as I grew my first bird of paradise.  Took about 12 years to flower, but now it covers my mums garage and back fence and looks amazing.  I now have a baby from it as by luck rather than judgement, lots of long whippy growths around the base had rooted, so once strong, I severed them and planted in my garden.  Hopefully I won't have to wait quite so long before I get flowers in my own garden!  ;D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 22:54:16 »
Prune properly and you should get flowers in the 4th or 5th year from planting - cut back all side shoots to 5 buds (leaf axyls) at the end of this month and cut the same shoots back again  to 1 or 2 buds in January.

You were indeed fortunate if your seedling has worthwhile blooms. Most wisteria seedlings have poor blooms and are rarely worth keeping.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 10:32:53 »
By `ripewood` I mean the thoroughly ripened wood of this season`s growth.  I regard `hardwood` as being from the previous or earlier season`s growth.

Take the cuttings about a foot long (from the base of the shoot - the top part is too soft), of which a half should be buried.  If they take you must leave them undisturbed for at least 18 months.

Once a gain, many thanks Hugh. Might be worth a try. Not much difference to 'normal' hardwood cuttings, in terms of the patience required.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal