Author Topic: tiller advice  (Read 1003 times)

staris

• Acre
tiller advice
« on: October 23, 2008, 19:37:38 »
i'm thinking of buying a tiller for my allotment it's a fairly big allotment approx 300square yards, its all going to be raised beds that are about 16'x5'
i haven't got a clue about tillers so was looking for some advice on what i could get for my money, my budget would be up to around £300 and i would like a four stroke engine, any recommendations please new or second hand.  ;D

Buster54

• Acre
Re: tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 20:23:35 »
http://mantis-uk.co.uk/home.asp
My allotment buddy's swear by it 2 stroke that is,but is it worth buying,I was gonna get one but I can dig a raised bed over in 15 mins
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 20:25:16 by Buster54 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 20:36:29 »
I have a mantis tiller for in-between rows and everyday tilling great for digging furrows for potatoes good for going over bare patches to keep weed free and if you turn the tines round it weeds quite well with out digging down, and its light enough for me to carry to the lottie. I also have a bigger howard 350 which i use for compacted areas and for digging in manure i also have a plough attachment for it which i use for tuning the soil when i have used green manure. They both save me loads of time and effort.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 20:45:41 »
the mantis doesn't look very robust to me, forgot to mention i would also like it to be able to dig in manure i would still prefer a 4 stroke engine, i've seen this one and wondered if its any good.

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/DORI_MD40T_Garden_Cultivator.html

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 21:55:29 »
I use a 4 stroke Honda, it starts first time with very little effort due to its easy start mechanism.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 23:06:14 »
Another vote for a Honda 4 stroke here ;) - but raised beds are easy hand dug :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal