Author Topic: Yeast Problem  (Read 2661 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Yeast Problem
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:43 »
My yeast seems to be inactive.....mind you it is a few years past its best before!!!  BUT we  have NO homebrew shops near us anymore, and the p&p on a tub of general purpose yeast only is huge, making the wine not so cheap!

How do I check the yeast without putting more into the 3 demijons I started yesterday, and are there any highstreet stores that still sell it these days?
(No Wilkies anywhere near us)

(I put a tsp in a glass with nutrient this morning and sat it on the heating pad but nada happening, so am presuming it is dead?)
Not keen on getting from e-bay, which I guess would be the cheapest postage wise, wonder how long it has sat in someones garage!
Thanks
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: Yeast Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:59:36 »
Sorry to hear about your yeast problems.

I have bought wine products from local hardware shops and small High Sreet garden centres in small villages/towns when I needed stuff asap, so perhaps there is something near you?

Just a thought, but are you sure your yeast is totally past it? If you see even very small bubbles in your demijohns (you may need to shine a light through to see) then the yeast is doing something and is perhaps just taking a while to get going and build itself up into a larger mass.

Putting a teaspoon in dissolved nutrient is a good idea and is basically what I would do to make a yeast starter. Try dissolving some jam/fruit juice/plain sugar in half a pint of water and simmer for a couple of minutes to kill any bugs. Leave to cool to warmish and add a tablespoon of yeast (no need to muck about if you think it's old stuff). Stir in and cover with a plate. Leave overnight and if you see signs of froth then there is hope!

If the yeast starter gets going after another day or two you can add it to your already started wines as a booster.

Hope this helps.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 13:03:51 »
Thanks pg, got up this morning and they are bubbling away like crazy! (And I of course ordered some new yeast late last night in despair!)

Thank you for the  advice on checking the yeast, very handy that, will give it a go for my next batch.

Can you add too much yeast to wine?

Is it worth storing wine yeast in the fridge like I do my cooking yeast?

Opps more questions!
Thank you

DP

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 13:44:29 »
I'm glad your yeast has got going DP!

Tricky stuff yeast sometimes. If you're fermenting in a room that gets a draught or gets a bit cool (not unusual at this time of year overnight) then this really slows down how quickly your brew gets going.

I used to ferment beneath the gas boiler - always cosy. If things get cool you can always wrap a heating belt around your demijohns (I got mine from an ex-winemaker for free - ask around there always seems to be homebrew stuff around for free). The belt looks like a rubber ring with a plug on the end and you wrap it about half way up your fermenting container and it keeps it at a steady 20 degrees or so.

As to your very good questions - can you add too much yeast. The answer is yes. But it's pretty hard to do. Yeast sachets usually say their contents of about 15g (a dessertspoon) will be sufficient for 5 gallons (5 demijohns). Yes, but only just! It's best to make a yeast starter (with the jam or fruit juice as I suggested earlier) and increase your yeast before you 'pitch' it in. Following the instructions and sprinkling it in will result in your yeast having to work really hard, and it looks like it isn't doing anything. Your symptoms in fact.

Storing yeast - if it's dried granules then keep it in the tin and it should be okay for a couple of months from opening. Foil sachets will keep longer. But anything unopened should be okay 'til the best before date.

If you can get fresh yeast you can store this in well wrapped in your freezer for a couple of months. Store in small chunks and just sprinkle straight into your starter. It should start frothing after a bit as normal.

If you want to try fresh yeast you can get fresh bread yeast from Morrisons. Old wine recipes say to use this but it isn't recommended now for delicate tasting wines as it imparts a yeasty taste (as would adding too much yeast, say 3 or 4 times that recommended). I use bread yeast for wine recipes that have rice or wheat, the bread yeast attacks the sugars in the grains better than wine yeasts which are designed for grapes.

What wine are you having a go at? Is this your first brew?

If you see any homebrew books books by C J J Berry (I always see something of his in charity shops) then get it. His stuff on wine (although first printed 45 years ago) is still relevant and the best.

If you're into beer then look for books by Dave Line. Easy to read and contains good tips. He only printed a couple of beer books (Making beers like those you buy) as he unfortunately died very young.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 13:46:23 by pg »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:17 »
I just read recently (have not tested it myself) that dried raisins have yeast colonies on them so are able to start wine fermentation. they didn't give any particulars.
I might just try that sometime.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:38:17 »
I've not tried the raisin yeast idea either, but I'd want to get them going in a starter to be doubley sure.

Many raisins now come coated with oil to stop them sticking together. I'd suggest you don't use these for yeast or in any wine recipes - the oil would smother any active yeast and they can leave an oily film floating on the surface of your wine. I use Crazy Jack sultanas, organic and oil-free.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 13:06:38 »
pg, have beeen brewing wine for years, but am trying the juice wine as I haven't had time to go the usual route......first time me yeast didn't do anything for days!
All are sitting on a warming pad too, but now happily bubbling away.

I have a Berry book, very good it is too, we are just drinking last years elderberry, sadly didn't get around to making any this year. :(

Thank You for your excellent reply. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal