Author Topic: yikes i got stung on the nose!  (Read 2001 times)

sarah

• Hectare
yikes i got stung on the nose!
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:30:14 »
i was clearing an area in my back garden yesterday where i am planning to grow some veg and i got stung on the nose by a wasp. ouch.  :o

anyway when i returned to continue work i realised that i had uncovered the entrance to a wasp nest and there were a small number of wasps agitating near it soi left it alone for the time being.

i am not sure what to do about it. i dont know how big it is as it is under a layer of matted grass and i dont want to poke around too much.  if  i wasnt wanting to clear the ground i would be inclined to leave it as i have read that they leave in the winter anyway but i would like to be rid of it so i can continue working.  i have also read that zapping it with ant or wasp killer will do the trick.  what do you guys think? any advice?

also if you have any spare sympathy my nose is real sore and puffy. :'(

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: yikes i got stung on the nose!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:38:08 »
I've got rid of them in the past by letting out the contents of a can of wasp/fly killer into the entrance. I don't like killing wasps, but if  they're in the wrong place... and this is them or you!

Poor your nose, post a piccie & we can all call you Rudolph!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:57:59 »
hiya, sarah..I use tea tree oil on bites and stings, hope that helps  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 15:08:41 »
Water and lots of it.  Get a water jet power washer in there.  That will get rid of them.  Failing that - a hosepipe on the finest most powerful jet of water that you can manage.  Soak it for at least ten minutes on maximum power.  They will disperse.  The power of the water jet will also break up the nest.  Plus you can do it from a distance without having to get too close.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 17:53:00 »
Keep away from them for a few weeks. They'll soon be gone.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:23:10 »
thanks for the advice.  i have decided to leave them for the time being and work onthe other end of the plot and hope they are gone by the time i reach that end again.  dont like the idea of killing them unless absolutely necessary. 

will it be obvious when they have gone?

as for looking like rudolph lol; actually it got me on the bridge of the nose and i look more like a clingon.

thanks for the tea tree tip i have followed it and i think it has helped to keep the swelling down.

remember - be careful out there! :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:14 »
They just fade away so it's not always obvious. Just keep your eyes peeled if you go near the nest as they don't normally sting the moment you start to disturb them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal