Author Topic: Chicken Bedtime  (Read 3483 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
Chicken Bedtime
« on: October 11, 2008, 13:54:50 »
As most of you guys keep your chickens on your allotments, I was just wondering what you do about shutting them in at night and letting out in the morning?  Surely you dont get there at the crack of dawn and go back again a dusk !!

I ask as I have mine at the bottom of my garden (which is quite long!) and sometimes at about 11pm I realise i have forgotten to shut the sliding door !
and at weekends I really wish I didnt have to get up at 7ish to let them out !!

As my 'inner run' is totally enclosed would it be safe to leave them open all night? just the little sliding door i mean, so that they could come out in the morning when they wanted !!

Also since I let them completely free range around the garden a couple of times, they seem to be continually wanting to get out, even though they have quite a good area anyway and i feed loads of leftovers etc., yet they always want to scratch up my veggie patch !! my hubby even turfed half of their run for them only for that to be scratched to pieces in a couple of months, he has now renewed it and we are keeping them off it until the spring and we'll see how it lasts !.   Do hens 'need' grass or does any green stuff count ?
You always love your children more than they love you...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Chicken Bedtime
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 14:15:20 »
My hens are at my allotment.  During the Spring and summer,  I leave the bob-hole door open all the time so they can come and go as they please.  Hens usually go inside once it is dark anyway.  It is part of their instinct to hide from predators.  During late autumn and winter darker months, I drop the bob-hole closed once it is dark because they are always inside by then.  It is opened on the way to work in the morning at around 0600-0630hrs.  At weekends during winter months it is opened at around 0800hr. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 18:51:21 »
Hi B7jac,

Not sure if you have seen my setup...

I don't lock my hens up at night, they put themselves to bed in the house and they come out once they are up :)

The run had to be buried in the ground and also has mesh and old carpets layed around the outside with bark over the top to hide them, this (Touch wood) has stopped the fox getting in!

So if the pen is secure it should be fine! ;D

Regards,

Isleworth

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 18:55:25 by Isleworth »

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 18:55:10 »
During late autumn and winter darker months, I drop the bob-hole closed once it is dark because they are always inside by then.  It is opened on the way to work in the morning at around 0600-0630hrs.  At weekends during winter months it is opened at around 0800hr. 

Hi KT,

Can I ask the reason why you shut the door in winter... Is it because food is harder to find for foxes or because of the temp changes?

Just wondered as it's my first winter with the hens down on the plot and I was wondering if I should do the same!

Regards,

Isleworth

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:17:05 »
My girls are at home bottom of garden, they have the grass mowings off the lawn and greens from lottie. Its just extra vitimans.
In the autumn/winter till spring I close the pop hole at night, hens need ventulation but dont do well with draughts they get chilled. Hence feeding corn late evening to fill their crops and it helps keep them warm through the night.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 14:56:38 »
Can I ask the reason why you shut the door in winter... Is it because food is harder to find for foxes or because of the temp changes?

Just wondered as it's my first winter with the hens down on the plot and I was wondering if I should do the same!
I do it as a precautionary measure against predators even though the run is secure.  Plus the rats and other pests pinch the eggs.  Also, I do not want other animals making a home in the nests and straw for warmth.  Some plot holders on my site leave theirs open all year round.  Personal preference I guess.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:17:11 »
I have just started shutting mine in - they live on my allotment and I felt that it was safer and warmer for them.  I did find a rat hole into the run and thought that they may go into the house and cause bedlam or whatever if they could.

I will probably leave them again next spring/summer again - as they go to bed later than me!

It is really funny watching them go to bed - someone starts it and there is a deliberate order in which they go up their ramp to bed and they each follow the one in front politely - and shuffle off the the left right or centre.  A very ordered society and they have their favourite "positions"!

Old Bird

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal