Author Topic: when can I start shifting?  (Read 3038 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
when can I start shifting?
« on: August 23, 2004, 00:50:21 »
I have lots of things I want to shift around - some things have outgrown their spaces, some things are in completely the wrong place!  WHen is it okay to start work??  Some say autumn, some say spring.  I have moved things in the middle of the summer before, given them oodles of water, and they have survived okay, but I don't wanna loose anything.  Any advise gratefully received. ;D

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
Re:when can I start shifting?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:30:55 »
Maybe you could tell us what types of plant you want to move?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 13:17:45 »
As you're on heavy clay like me and your garden gets very soggy, I'd wait til next spring to give the plants the best chance to get established before being battered by the winter weather.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 18:19:36 »
I may well wait then.  There are hostas and astilbes, day lillies and a hebe, and lots of other things.  My garden is a higgledeepiggledee jungle of plants, and with this warm wet weather, they have filled it to capacity and some need more room to spread their arms out.

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 12:09:57 »
Emma I am just up the road from you and I always move mine in autumn and have never had any problems.  I make sure they are well watered and  add plenty of horse manure to the new site so make the soil nice and fertile.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 13:11:53 »
Thanks Viv.  I am never sure, people and books all say different things, but a local garden with experience is worth 'her' weight in gold.  I shall start planning now!  ;D

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 16:58:18 »
no worries! In fact if I do lose anything it is something I have moved/planted in spring, must be something to do with the little nibbly creatures I think!

I'm also a great advocate of horse manure, I mulch all through in the autumn and then dig in in the spring and I find my soil's not bad at all. Not perfect but then what is ;)

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 22:45:42 »
The best time to move most plants (unless you are subject to winter waterlogging) is in the autumn - for herbaceous perennials which have finished flowering mid September  onwards is fine.  At that time the soil is still warm and the roots have the chance to get working and settle the plant before winter.  Spring moving expects the plant roots to start working in a cold and much less conducive environment.

Of course, if we then get a hot dry spell you will have to water.

Shrubby perennials are probably better left until early October.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 23:32:18 »
Tis just what I want to hear.  It means the gardens looks will still be fresh in my mind, where as by spring, I have no idea whats what, even with photos!  PLus, it means once the kids go back to school, and the lottie is sorted again, I can do some serious garden work!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 23:33:53 »
I too am looking forward to that day EJ! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 18:34:51 »
I think it depends a lot on your soil ans local climate, i think.

On light/free draining soils I would say OK to move herbaceous plants (and probably shrubs) in autumn, as this gives them the chance to get reestablished during mild spells over the winter. Then they are all ready to go come spring. On heavier/poorly drained soils, there is the chance that newly moved plants will just sit in the cold wet soil and rot, so spring would be better.

It also depends a lot on the plants. Many are better moved at a particular time of year, and will resent being moved at the wrong time. You will have to check the cultivation requirements of your plants to make sure. Often when instructions say 'plant' (shrubs/perenials)or 'propagate' (perennials -division) gives some idea of the best time to move a plant.

Hope this helps

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 22:35:16 »
Gotta be honest, we are on heavy London/Essex clay, but my garden isn't wet and cold over winter, it is wet and cold all spring long.  I loose bulbs because from about February until April, the garden is almost under water.  Everything else seems to thrive, especially the willow and the lawn!  Anyhow, I am an impatient woman, so September time it will be.  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 09:47:05 »
plants that are established can usualy cope (unless they specificaly hate the wet). Moving in september should give the plants enough time to establish enough to cope with the winter wet. Moving things later on in October might be a bit chancy, so any thing you dont get done next month, leave until spring.

Impatient? me too. Have been known to move things at the wrong time entirely, just to get it done thre and then rather than wait. I am learning to be a bit more patient now and do things at the right time. ;D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 19:12:03 »
Hi EJ

I must be the world's worst for doing what I should do at the right time!  Often, I just get out there and move things around in a great wave of enthusiasm just to get things where I think they would be better!  Somehow, I used to put the 'correct' time to move them to the back of my mind!

Surprisingly, it worked, I can't remember losing anything and I had both friable loam and clay areas and swapped between the two with abandon!

So, with caution and respect for those who know, I would happily advocate moving anything that is not too precious while you have the time and the weather!

::) Just waiting for the heap of coals on my head now!

PS  In Kent so not so far away and climate is similar  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 19:14:44 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 21:16:22 »
Luckily, thanks to all the rain the soil is nice and moist, so there should be no problems doing stuff now. I have just had to move some herbaceous plants  that were in the way ofan old rose that had died and needed to be dug out. the herbaceous plants were fine being moved, though i did water well afterwards.

Contrast this to this time last year. In the midst of the driest spell i can remember, and the soil was bone dry, even in the shade. Couldnt move a thing until mid-october without having to near drown it in water afterwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal