Author Topic: cerinthes  (Read 1792 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
cerinthes
« on: August 23, 2004, 00:48:37 »
Have several types of cerinthes in the garden and they are pretty, in an understated kinda way.  They have started to set seed and as I am clearing and collecting seed I have noticed there are already loads of self sown seedlings.  This is not a problem at all, but I just wondered, how hardy are they?  Are they going to have time flower again before the onset of this winter?  Should I tease them out, plant in a pot and over winter??

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:cerinthes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:50 »
Cerinthes are not generally hardy. Here in Sussex they do not last the winter but in Devon at my parents they will over winter.

The seedlings will not flower this year before frost sets in. If you have space lift them into pots and keep them somewhere frost free and light and they will come through the winter.

The seeds are easy to collect, keep an eye on the seed heads and you will easily shake loose the seeds. They are easy to sport and not soo small to handle.

Store in a paper envelope until next year.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:32:22 »
I have cerinthe major 'purpurescens' and i have found it to be quite hardy in Dorset (I know not much help for essex EJ  ::)). They sem to be able to grow and flower all year aroung (except when its really cold).

I had some flower and set seed back in early summer. Some of the seedlings have grown to flowering size already!

I find the self sown ones to be tougher and hardier than transplants or ones grown in pots. Just occasionaly will a hard frost destroy them(this happened a few years back), but the seed will be ok and germinate to replace them in spring.

I think your best bet is to save some seed as an insurance, ready to sow anew in spring. Dont worry about over wintering plants too much.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 18:21:43 »
Well, I shall try to be all efficient then.  I have already saved some seed, and I shall gently ease a few up to thin them out a bit, and the rest I will leave and see.  We normally do okay weather wise here and I leave things like my bottle brush and palms out all year, but I don't know if these little seedlings would appreciate a layer of snow! Thanks for the info.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal