Author Topic: home remedies help  (Read 5066 times)

trinity

• Acre
home remedies help
« on: October 09, 2008, 22:37:50 »
dose any one know any home remedies for chest infections and pneumonia
 I have had a bad cough for about 4 weeks and was told three weeks ago that I had a chest infection.
went for an emergence appointment today (I started coughing up blood) and have been told I have pneumonia
there Dr try ed to persuade me to go in to hospital but agreed as I am functioning OK (just fell like I have flu and cannot stopped coughing because i feel like i have bricks in my lungs) have enough help and I relay hate hospitals ::) I would be better of at home :-\
I am taking antibiotics (which i don't like) but would like to try any sensible home remedy's that any one has used that helps with this sort of thing

PS that been told that I should not be outside for to long so I cannot get on with digging my new Lotty  :o so would like to be well as soon as possible

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: home remedies help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 22:42:00 »
Ouch, you poor thing.  Do hope you get better sooooooon xx
The Tuscan Beaneater

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:18:05 »
sorry but it's rest, keep warm, take the pills and drink plenty of warm drinks..have soup, home made if you can get it, put garlic and a bit of chillie in..pneumonia is a nasty thng to have..your plot will be there when you have recovered..take it easy  :)

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:47:14 »
I have several very effective remedies that will help loosen the junk on your chest and ease the coughing. as always though, check that they won't conflict with any prescription drugs before taking them. I will write up a few for you later today when I've finished dealing with a major crisis at home. Until then, try this to ease your general symptoms.

Juice of half a lemon
2 tsp of honey
about half an inch of fresh grated ginger.

Put it all in a cup and add hot water then sip it. It should help till I get back to you!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:07:44 »
i had pneumonia last year it was awful, i would suggest as you are on shed loads of antibiotics a probiotic to replace the good bacteria and then some ecchinaccea (?sp) to boost your immune system.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 13:07:11 »
My favourite for a cough - peel an onion and slice it thickly.  Reassemble it in a bowl, sprinkling a teaspoon of brown sugar in between each slice.  Leave for a few hours.  The juice that accumulates in the bowl is a terrific cough syrup.

Elderberry cordial is also good for chest ailments, but it's just too late to make any if you haven't already.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 13:59:26 »
For Christ sake this is Pneumonia you are talking about not some little old chest infection. It kills people. Get yourself to hospital where you can be treated properly with the RIGHT antibiotics.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 16:00:54 »
to be honest with you Davy i think provided trinity is responding well to the antibiotics she is better off at home but needs to rest and drink plenty of fluids etc hospitals are the worse place to be when youre not really in need of their services, of course if the antibiotics are not doing there job and i v antibiotics are necessary then that is where trinity ought to be, r if she is not breathing too well and needs oxygen

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 16:26:41 »
I would go in to hospital if my local hospital was any good and I wouldent get better treatment than at home. when I was in after having complications from having my third child (I had an infection DVT and has has a mild stroke and could hardly move) I had my son with me as I was breast feeding and he only got changed of fed if I has visitors as if i asked a nurse or midwife they said in a minute which than did not happen. I only got my medication after asking 20 or so times (warferin and antibiotics ) so they where never given to me on time. I was in for 27 days and my room was cleaned once after 10 days but my mom had already came and cleaned the shower and toilet as they where unusable and as I was confind to my room they quite often forgot to feed me and my mom had to go to the shop for snacks for me.
If this was a one off then I would go to hospital but I have had similar experiences every time i have been in hospital and as my Dr agreed with me I am staying at home  
where I know I can be looked after and i get any worse I will go to the hospital 3 towns overs casualty and get admitted there
I know not all hospitals are like this an non should be but my local on just is sorry if any one on hear is a nurse or Dr as I am not trying to be insulting my best friend is a nurse an she dose an amassing job for bad pay but even she says that some tines things just get forgotten about they all have to much to do and to and to many patients to do it for
as the Dr said I would be on the the same antibiotics in hospital the practice nurse is checking on me tomorrow and he is coming to see me on Monday so I am well looked after and have decided to stay at home

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 16:32:13 »
will try the onion thing and will add ginger to the honey and lemon as I am drinking that but without the ginger I don't have any cordial but my auntie dose but she lives in Kent but is now sending me some in the post (goodness knows how much that will cost in postage) thanks for everyones replies and concern

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 18:05:51 »
Well.....chicken soup - the Jewish Mama's standby?

Trinity, when I first read this post v. early this morning I went to my 'bible' of home remedies....surprised there were NONE for 'pneumonia' as such, tho there are lots for coughs, congestion, phlegm, lowering temp. etc., and I can post these if you wish? so I'm with Davy when he says it's not something to mess around with? Sometimes the right prescribed antibiotics are what's needed to knock the infection on the head. Also agree with Debster, btw...

All the v.v.best for your recovery,

Lishka

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 18:10:16 »
I think you've had better advice than anything I can add so just wish you a speedy recovery...

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 18:20:25 »
Chicken Soup.  The New Covent Garden one is good as it also seens to have a fair bit of garlic in it!! (no time to make your own if your ill)

The only other thing I would add is if you have any vapour rubs or Eucalyptus essential oil or something, stick it on a hankie and sniff at it when you are out of breath !!!  Makes everyone think you are a bit weird but I find it helps.  Bit of lavendar oil with it is very relaxing too.  Sensory stuff for TLC :D

Hope you are better soon.  I'm also down with something and have lost my voice.  The family are cheering!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 18:20:26 »
i also think so long as you are progressing then psycologically it is beneficial to be at home, it seems like you have all areas covered if you ever feel any worse or dont feel like youre improving then please call the doc or visit a and e. good luck and a speedy recovery to you
debs

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 19:04:23 »
Thanks Hyacinth that would be appreciated
the nurse said I am well as can be expected so I think I am OK at the moment but am sick of day time TV already ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 19:18:43 »
daytime TV? hey gal, look at iPlayer or 4oD, dunno what the watch-again ITV one is? No need for bloomin daytime tv atorl ;D

Which symptoms do you want me to look up btw? Even if they don't do any good, they won't do you any harm - and ANYTHING's better than watching daytime TV ::)

Keep warm, keep rested and all the best,

Lishka x

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 09:33:57 »
the ones for coughs and lowering temp would be helpfull thanks

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:52:18 »
Keep yourself warm and GWS.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 21:34:40 »
Hello Trinity, hope you're coughing better? ::)

Interestingly, Greyhound's recipe for a home-made cough medicine of onion/brown sugar (the onion a 'modern' substitute for swede cos the recipe comes straight from the '30's!), steam inhalation and of course, chicken soup 8) are all there and, ah, this'll be hard to find...a walk round your local gasworks or follow your council peeps when they're resurfacing roads with tar.... ::)

Sure you're not constipated? Got some cracking suggestions for that ;D

Hope you're feeling better today and that your temp. is getting back to normal.

Lishka

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:06 »
Trinity don't forget the Vitamin 'B' ( I have always understood that antibiotics deplete the system of vitamin b) and the Yakult type thingies to correct the good bacteria balance in the gut, I would suggest natural yogurt when taking antibiotics rather than the yakult but not with a chest infection the last thing you need is any mucus making substance!
Hope you are improving
All my luv Susie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal