Author Topic: Old cats  (Read 6530 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Old cats
« on: October 07, 2008, 18:41:00 »
Zorba is 17 years old, has taken to sleeping in the bath.  I think he has gone deaf as is frightened of me if I stroke him but can hear my footsteps echoing.  I have to decide whether to take him to the vet for more blood tests etc when I know he is not well.  He is happy sleeping in the bathroom next to the hot towel rail, cries for food but today he is acting very strange, goes out and sleeps on the dustbin in the back garden, doesn't want food and is trying to dig up the water bowl.  He is not in pain, and purrs when I stroke him, but I think it is a trip to the vet tonight but do not want him to have any more tests or blood tests as I know he is not too well, and think either his eye sight, hearing and brain have gone, but he is happy at home.  Should I just get him checked  and refuse treatment and let him sleep and perhaps die at home.  I feel so sad. I have decided definately go to the vet but no more tests on him, and as he is not in pain let him come home.  Just wanted to check with the vet that he is OK, but not OK if you see what I mean.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Old cats
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 19:10:00 »
he sounds like a real character..whatever you decide, it will be the right thing.thinking of you, and zorba

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 20:04:54 »
ooh, Borlotti, I do hope you got on ok at the vet's.  Like Manics I am thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed it is something fixable, our cat is getting on a bit and we have this to come, so I can imagine how you feel. Really thinking of you.  And hugs for you too.

T.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 20:17:09 »
Awww Borlotti, this is a dilemma which comes to many of us animal lovers and I'm sure a number of folk here will empathise with your situation.  So I'm also thinking of you Zorba this evening and I hope it's nothing serious. 

One of my cats is 20 and she's 'selectively deaf'.  She totally ignores me when I call her but can still hear the fridge door being opened at twenty paces!  She has her good days and not so good days and is often quite eccentric.  But that's cats for you: dogs have owners; cats have servants.  :)

G x
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 20:31:34 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 20:25:25 »
Aw hun i have been there!
My old girl died last year at 21 years old and towards the end she started doing 'odd' things, wandering off and getting lost, she worried me sic for 2 days!!! we thought she had gone off to died and that realy hurt  :'(  A lady up the road brought her home but i new it was nearly time.
Purring can be a sign of pain and tippy toe another of my cat who never purred became ill and it was when she started to pur  new something was wrong big time :(
 We have an old dog who is off to the vets Thursday and im hoping he will be ok.
 I hope your Zorba has something simple like a urine infection which can make them do odd things.
 Thining of you ((((((huggs)))))))))))) xx

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 00:02:29 »
Im thinking of you Barlotti and Zorba naturally. I hope the vet visit went well for him,

((((Hugs))))
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 20:17:41 »
The vet was really, really good.  He said that Zorba's kidneys have failed but he was not in any pain.  She gave him two injections of water under his skin to ease his discomfort, and didn't charge for that.  He could go on a drip but it would only work for a while, so said take him home, give him loads of love, and perhaps if he starts being sick and in pain bring him back.  She said it could be quick perhaps two days to a week and then we would have him put him to sleep.  She said he had done well for 17 years.  He is at present asleep in the bathroom under the heated towel rail, but last night slept in the bath as he is dehydrated and sleeps and drinks. Cooked him fish but he will not eat, but is drinking water all the time and drinks milk.  I think the vet was upset but I have known for a while that he is not well, and was pleased that she said no more blood tests or treatment but you (me) will know when he is in pain or had enough and it is my decision.  My vet is now open Saturday or Sunday but if he is ill in the night it is a long journey to Hampstead.  She has given him between 2 days to a week as he is not eating but said he will not be in any pain until he starts trying to be sick and then I should take him to the vet.  He might surprise us all and pick up and suddenly start demanding food again. My other stray cat is very supportive and although he is not too keen on Zorba will sit with him when he is ill, who said cats can't talk.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 20:28:37 »
{{{{big hugs}}}}

It's always hard to say goodbye to a faithful old pet, at least you know he's not in pain, and can watch over him in his last days. Bless.  :( :( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 20:29:57 »
Awww sad news indeed.  But at least you have time to say your goodbyes and you can put Zorba to rest when the time comes.  When I had to do this for my Fletcher 3 years ago (he was also 17) the vet was marvellous too.  He said it was the kindest thing to do and what a pity we weren't so merciful with humans.  That helped a bit but I'm welling up even now as I type.  My thoughts are with you, Borlotti.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 21:09:39 »
Nice to talk you cat lovers.  Thank you all for your support and understanding. I am not too sad as Zorba is happy to be at home, I know he is ill, but I do like vets they seem to understand, he is happy sleeping and has lived here for 17 years.  He must have been very ill as didn't mind going to the vets and sat in his carrier very quietly, instead of the usual fuss.  He can usually listen to the phone call and disappears just before the appointment. 

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 21:30:26 »
My heart goes out to you as it sounds exactly like my Prince when his kidneys gave up nearly 5 years ago. Walking out of the vets without him was one of the sadest things I have ever had to do.

I now have 2 young ones, Tinker and Bella, and love them to bits you never forget your faithful old friends. Take care and keep us posted on how he is.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 18:29:12 »
Poor Zorba, he tried to get in the toilet to drink.  We took him to the vet and it was horrible, had to wait for ages and then told by a vet that I had refused to pay for blood tests etc and they wanted to keep him in and put him on a drip.  She was very rude and I just put the cat in his basket and said I would take him home for a second opinion from another vet.  Then I saw the lovely vet I saw two days ago (at the same surgery) and she gave me a big hug, and I was crying and looked at the cat and said he had been well treated for 17 years, was very ill and if we did the tests he was still going to die soon.  We made the decision to put him to sleep and stayed with him.  The second vet spent a lot of time with us and was lovely.  The first vet was so horrible, said I didn't want to pay for blood tests etc. so feel that I should complain about her attitude and I was crying in the reception.  I have been going for that vet for over 30 years with all my animals, but it has recently been taken over and my vet has retired.  Oh well, I must eat now as have been so upset.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 18:56:45 »
Oh dear, how sad, that was such a hard decision to make and not made any easier by the nasty first vet. Thank goodness you saw the other one who was more sympathetic, my heart goes out to you. RIP Zorba.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 19:06:43 »
My thoughts are with you, Borlotti.  What a shame that the pain was made even worse for you by the attitude of the first vet and as Deb says, thank goodness you saw the other vet eventually. 

G x

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 19:16:07 »
Awwww so sorry you lost your lovely Zorba  :'(
Some vets are heartless !!!
Have a huge hug hun ((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))))
You have the memorys for a life time  :)

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 19:52:18 »
my two oldies Armani 15yrs and Henrii 13yrs are both on tablets for kidney trouble and like you we know one day we will have to make that decision my heart and thought go out to you, but he had alovely life with you
LB

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 20:07:41 »
Really sorry to hear your news Borlotti.

BIG HUGS.

x

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 21:48:41 »
I'm so sorry to hear you sad news, made worse by the vet's insensitive behaviour. But you have your memories and no one can take those away from you. He had a fantastic life with you and no one could have done more for him.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 22:06:33 »
We never buy cats, some years ago one turned up on the doorstep asking for lodgings. She was with us for 13 years. I knew she was on the way out when she went outside and climbed into a partly water filled crate and sat in it. We took her to the Vets and she had to be put down.

Recently a black tomcat turned up on our doorstep, asking for food and lodgings. He is still with us, wags his tail when he is pleased. Daft cat, it's very confusing. He also had a habit of making out he was going to bite, but didn't. He also disappears for one or two days at a time and comes back with bits of skin and fur missing. He's a right old rogue, but lovable.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:56:47 »
I am still upset more by the attitude of the first vet. She said I had refused a blood test, she was just reading off the computer, said I wouldn't pay for it as I was a pensioner and everything had been explained to me by the other vet.  I have spent a fortune at the vet after the years. She also told me off as he hadn't been eating for 4 days (2 days before I took him last week) but the nice vet knew that and he hadn't had his thyroid pills for 2 days she said not to worry him with those.  She said he was dehydrated and gave him the injection of water under the skin but said he had kidney failure by his eyes could give him a blood test but thought it would do no good.  He could go a drip for two days but that would not cure him.  She advised that I took him home for a couple of days gave him a lot of fuss and then if he started trying to be sick or got worse bring him back, which I did.  Whilst I was waiting in the waiting room crying with the cat back in the box, I certainly wasn't going to leave him with the horrible vet, the other vet came and sorted me out.  She is the senior vet there and she persuaded me it was the kindest thing to have him put to sleep.  I agreed to have him cremated with other animals and didn't want the ashes.  Didn't think to ask if it cost more to have him cremated on his own.  They charged me over £80 and when I had asked last week told me £42, I don't really care about the money perhaps they charged me more cause I saw two vets but don't want to give that first one anything.  I have looked her up on the website as it is the Village Vet, Winchmore Hill and the vets there have all been lovely to me.  She is a qualified vet (the one I didn't like, I had by doubts) but Jessica is the lovely kind one, she was great with my daughter and granddaughter as it was originally my daughter's cat but stayed with me when she left home.  I don't think I would feel so sad if the first vet hadn't put doubts in my mind that I should have got him treated more and earlier.  I feel like writing to the vet and thanking Jessica and saying the other vet had an unfortunate manner.  My next door neighbour who found Zorba for me as a kitten and who fed him if I was away was upset.  She made me laugh and she also sometimes says the wrong thing, and said 'don't get another kitten as you will not live to see its life out'.  I said thanks a lot.  Charlie my adopted stray cat is sad and slept on the bed with me.  I am not quite as fond of him as Zorba as haven't had him from a kitten.  No more animals after Charlie (how many times have I said that before).  Thanks for all your kind wishes, I didn't think I would be so upset as have had animals before but I suppose 17 years is a long time.  If Charlie has to go to the vet I will make sure he gets Jessica or one of the male vets.  I must have been using that vet for over 30 years when it was owned by Mr Lotpatkin, he was a lovely vet.  Perhaps I was just in a state about having the cat put to sleep and the vet said the wrong thing and I over-reacted.  I also think that if you are taking an animal in to have it put down they should not make you wait in the waiting room when all the other people talk to you, they should make you wait out the back.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal