Poll

How much do you pay each year for your allotment?

0 - £25
33 (53.2%)
£25.01 - £50
24 (38.7%)
£50.01 - £75
3 (4.8%)
£75.01 - £100
0 (0%)
£100.01+
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: October 08, 2008, 09:48:25

Author Topic: Cost of allotment  (Read 34894 times)

Frampers

• Not So New ...
Cost of allotment
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:48:25 »
Morning all!

Sorry to be a pain and pestering you all for new information but as you may be aware we're looking at getting an allotment. The one we're looking at is a private one, we've chosen where we would like to be (thank you everyone for your input  :)) When we went down on Saturday to show the kids the guy told me the price........£200 per annum :o :o :o He was quick to point out that we will have a water supply and they've improved the parking area (well put down loads of gravel).

To me this feels waaay out of kilter with what most people pay although having said that most everyone else is on a council plot. There are waiting lists for the local council plots that we're on however these (like most other places) are 2years+.

My dh and I have been umming and ahhing over this over the weekend. We really want our own allotment and can justify the cost against what I spend each week buying fruit and veg (my dh is a veggie so its a big thing for us irrespective of the fact that we all love them!). The plots are all within walking distance for me when I'm out with the dog whereas the others in the village would need a drive. So I can justify it but I feel that he may just have plucked a figure out of the air without due consideration.

As of yesterday morning I was going to say we'd pay the price but I now don't feel that I can without at least challenging him to drop the price. So this is why I've created this poll. I'd also appreciate to hear from people who rent privately as to the charges you incur - is your water included in the price? What sort of agreement do you have? Is it written or verbal? What notice period do you have from the owner to vacate your plot?

Thanks for reading and apologies for having gone on a bit. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sharon

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
Re: Cost of allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:05 »
Hi Sharon;  That's an outrageous price for your allotment! We have recently got a plot with a council owned, but association managed group & it's going to cost about 13 pounds a year, starting in April, beginning of their financial year.  I've never looked into private allotments but it sounds excessive; so you get water and a place to park, they're basics, I would have thought.  For that price you should get electric and toilets thrown in too, I would say.  But depending on where you are located, maybe like property prices, it's location-location-location. Also a consideration is the actual size of your plot, is it a split plot?  ie. once the standard 'double' size now split into two to whittle away their wait lists quicker.  Security is another factor.  I'm not an expert or even very experienced in the whole culture of allotments, so I could be out of touch with current rates. Good luck with finding a reasonably priced allotment.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:21 »
Sounds way over the top to me! We were offered a private one closer to home than the council one we took. Think the private one would have been about 25 a year.
Another consideration is that there might be more chance of a private one getting sold off for building in the future (though maybe not in the current climate!). There's at least some pressure on councils to keep allotment sites but it would be hard to fight for a private one.

Frampers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:28:59 »
Hi Vitaw - nice to meet you!

There is allegedly a toilet on site but where I don't know. Had to ask because of the kids coming down although I'm sure my boy would be quite willing to help the compost break down with the odd wee or too ;). As for location I'm just north of Bristol in a reasonable area. plot size is long and thin at 50m x 5.4m /270 sq m. There is a big steel fence road side and railway embankment down one side - the other two sides are unkown quantities.

Hi Caroline - nice to meet you too!

The site has been in the man's family for many years (30+) and has previously been a market garden (amazing what you find out when you work in the local pub!). He can't find anyone to take it on as a market garden hence the conversion to allotments. The site is in green belt but having said that the govt have said that loads of housing has to be built in our particular area (but that's a subject for ranting about on another forum ;))

Sharon
x

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:54 »
OMG!.....£200 a year :o

My £20 a year is nothing compared to that.We have water on tap and the £20 covers what we use.We do not have dedicated parking so park on the streets close by.

I'm afraid I would not pay that sort of money.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:57 »
I'm in SW London on a private site.  A full plot (10 rods) is £24.  We have a secure boundary which is maintained by the landowner but that's all they do.  We have a managing committee made up of plotholders that does everything else.  We have no mains water supply but have hand pumps which we install and maintain ourselves to bring water up from the water table.  All the other facilities on site - composting toilet, cafe, lockups etc we build and maintain ourselves.  Our tenancy agreements aren't with the landowner.  They are with the managing committee.  I think the notice period is 3 months, it probably says written notice in the tenancy agreement but in practice I think it's probably done verbally a lot of the time since the committee members are on site.

Compared to most allotment sites, council or private, £200 is outrageous.  On top of that, you have to add on the cost of seeds, potatoes, fruit trees/bushes, tools, nets, pest and disease treatments, shed, coldframe, polytunnel  etc. etc. - whatever you decide you need.  This has to be factored into the cost of what you will produce to decide if it's economic or not.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:41:10 »
I'm on a council-run site. I have half a plot and pay £11 per year, includes mains water and upkeep of the paths between the plots.

KLCG

• Quarter Acre
  • Godalming Surrey
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:51:36 »

Sorry for some stupid reason i clicked the £100 + button lol.  My bill came in a £4.86 for this years rental.  This includes my water, maintenance, etc.  We pay £1 (one off) to become a member of the site, and use the tools they have like rotavators, strimmers, mowers, wheelbarrows, etc  They give you a qucik lesson on how to use them too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:55:50 by KLCG »
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude!

melann

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:34 »
hi
im paying £21 for 120ft by 20 ft with water and a car park council owned but i was on a list said to be 2 year so i walked around all the gardens in my area and within 2 weeks of putting my name down i found my own garden well over grown and neglected but its mine

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:19:01 »
I pay £20 pa for a Parish plot.  With water,  a self run committee,  our own nursery and allotment shop too.  Private allotment rents in a nearby site are £60pa.  I think he is just taking the p*ss because allotments are the in thing at the moment.  It is pure greed and nothing else.  Ask others on the site what the rents have been in recent years and are they all paying £200.  I would not pay it at all.  No way. I would go without.

If you really must rent his allotment, keep your name on the list for a council allotment.....  (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Frampers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:51:03 »
Thanks everyone for all these replies, it's making me feel better about my decision if nothing else.

Hi and nice to meet you all for those who I haven't personally replied to!

Ceres- nice to meet you!
I am so grateful to you for your input especially as you're on a private site. I've got a couple more questions to fire your way - would it be OK to pm you with them? Cheers.

KTLawson - nice to meet you too!
There is no-one else on the site at the moment. I'm effectively (or rather strongly expressed interest in) plot 3. plots 1 and 2 have already been earmarked by two other people whom I've never met so don't know if he's telling everyone the same thing. I would jolly well hope so.

Sharon

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 12:01:07 »
Of course, fire away!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:30:11 »
£200 is outragous - that would get you over half an acre of agricultural land.

On the other hand, many people (including me) pay £40 a month gym membership & never go - at least this gives you exercise & food for £17 a month!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 13:18:19 »
I agree - £200 is daylight robbery! If he can con a few people to pay that sort of money, he's sitting on a gold-mine.

We're a private site on registered Common Land rented from the local church charity and run by ourselves. We have water (on or near most plots), a large parking area, very secure gates and a reasonably secure hedge & fence, free horse manure (bit iffy at the moment, that one!) and assorted machinery for use free; no toilets, club-house, shop or electricity. Just under £24 a year for a full-size plot (exactly half what the Borough charges).

And we've got a waiting list!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 16:49:08 »
Frampers,

I did a mini survey of rents last winter.

I ended up with 86 samples in total.

The overall average rent for 5 poles was £22. In the SE (where I am) it was £26.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 17:43:52 »
£200??!! *gasp* :o :o

As others have said, that's ridiculous even with water, parking and a loo somewhere. In fact that would be pushing it even with your own personal tap, garage and upholstered throne with pot pourri.

On the other hand (devil's advocate) £200 a year is still only less than £4 a week so maybe still not that expensive...and sounds like the soil will be in really nice condition if it's been a market garden for ages.

But it's still a crazy price for an allotment. I pay £35 for what they say is a half plot but it's still 10 poles, on a council owned but committee run site, including water (tap shared with 3 or 4 others) and we have 2 parking areas, a shop, massive fence/gates/razor wire to keep naughty people out, and are meant to be getting toilets soon.

What to do?  ??? Best of luck whatever you decide xxx

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 17:49:05 by electric landlady »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 18:55:43 »
I suppose if he owns the land and it is a private site he can charge what people will pay.  It is your decision to pay or wait for a Council site, which I am sure we will all agree is good value for money.  My tennis subscription is £210 a year but I play a lot, I go the allotment most days, not only for the produce but for a walk, exercise and good company.  Luckily it is Council run and £34 a year, reduced cause I am over 62.  I spend over £5 a day on cigarettes (I know I will kill myself) so I suppose looking at the pleasure you will get from the allotment it is not too bad.  I do not drive but know petrol is expensive.  The only thing I can contribute is do not do a lot of work and treat it as your own if he/she has the right to terminate the agreement in say 3 months.  If I had the money to buy a house with a big garden, the size of my allotment, it would cost me thousands of pounds more, so am quite happy with the Council allotment with water, toilets, lock up sheds, and they cut the grass surronds, even community police come round to check the site.  Think of it like this, private schools cost a lot more than council schools.  I think I am the only person that feels £200 for a private allotment is not too expensive.  My council tax is over £100 a month so I suppose I am entitled to a Council site, it is your choice, look around and see what the Council can offer and perhaps wait 2 years, but if you keep trying you may get one sooner.  Allotments have become fashionable lately, 5 years ago my Council had no waiting lists, but now everyone wants one and of course the prices will go up.  I am just glad that the Council cannot/will not sell it for housing as the site must be worth a fortune if they could build houses on it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 20:18:34 »
Hi Frampers I pressed the wrong button to, mines £56 for 9 poles but I think its nearer seven because its on the end, something I'm looking in to. I would have to agree with Electric Lady it sounds outrageous but at under four quid a week is it worth it, the geezer is taking the piss because as said before it's fashionable so he may think he can get away with it and what if he puts it up 50 quid next year. For £56 we get water troughs, parking, locked gates and fenced area, you never mentioned sheds, are they included in the price.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 20:47:03 »
Mine is due in a couple of weeks and is about £20 for half a plot 30' x 45'.

I personaly would not take a chance for £200, as someone said before what if he puts up the rent by a ridiculous amount?

Neil

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 21:00:23 »
£200..? are these allotments IN Buckingham Palace.
Do you get shares in the farm too?

I'm on a private site, the land was left to the village Parish council and can never be sold. We have water from March to end of October. Free supply of woodchips delivered about 3 or 4 times a year. No toilets or electricity.
We only have half plots approx 60ft x 25ft = £10 and that includes your insurance and membership to NSALG.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal