Author Topic: Seed addiction S.A.A  (Read 22389 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Seed addiction S.A.A
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 20:37:49 »
I notice that nobody has put up a picture of their collection yet.  ;D

I've been saving chilli seeds today.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 20:40:00 »
I notice that nobody has put up a picture of their collection yet.  ;D

Well I would but I don't have a wide angle lens.   ;)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 20:51:31 »
It's nice to know there are like minded collectors (idiots) out there.

I've got about five seed catalogues for next year, and the 'ooh must try that', is extremely difficult to overcome. ;D ;D

Still browsing through them whiles away the nasty dark dank days of Winter.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 20:55:24 »
The Suffolk Herbs one arrived today.  Is it just me or is it not as good as it used to be?

G x

PS Could just be that I've got just about everything they sell that I want I guess!  ;)
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 21:44:30 »
PS Could just be that I've got just about everything they sell that I want I guess!  ;)

I think it's one of those 'you know you're getting old' moments, when the seed catalogues don't seem to offer you anything you haven't already got. ??? ??? ;D

valmarg

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 17:35:38 »
I sit there actually staring at the seeds themselves like a new type of pervert.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 18:12:46 »
I sit there actually staring at the seeds themselves like a new type of pervert.
lol
i have to confess to spending a fortune at chiltern seeds and jungle seeds and
opening every packet to see the seeds  much to the hillarity of hubby and kids
lbb

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 18:33:47 »
It's getting harder to resist  :P :.... I am determined to wait until at least March to order my last batch for next year.  After all I have worked out you need to wait as late as possible with Parsnip and sweetcorn seeds to have any chance of germination ...

I started with a plan to stick to 2-4 novel things a year and stick to tried and tested for the rest but I am too weak ... the little oddments of herbs, a few different squash varieties .... its the beginning of the end isn't it? :-\

At least I'm still resticting it to 2 biscuit tins .... one for the peas and beans and one for the rest!  But now I have started on flowers ....  where will it end??
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 23:33:54 »
Remember Pippy we're all here if you need us.

If you have to its better you send off to a reputable seed company, I've known too many peoples lives ruined going to back street seed pushers.

I see them in the plot every day, old men sitting in their huts staring out the window waiting for the next seed hit.

Waiting..... waiting.....waiting................................

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 10:40:06 »
I can see the ironing  but finding broad bean seed at the right price is far more important.Think I may need to store spare in a chocolate box, off to Thorntons.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 11:13:07 »
I realised I was beyond help today when I fed the cats this morning and started musing that the box their food comes in would make an ideal portable seed packet box, just cover it with some suitable wrapping paper..........why would I even need such a thing!  ;D

Plus I've just bought a few more packets of squash from an eBay supplier, couldn't resist getting some purple spring onions whilst I was at it...I'm a lost cause! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2008, 11:20:12 »
Seed Guardians. Okay!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2008, 12:32:34 »
Actually I find the suitcases on wheels are the best place to store seeds,easy to move them from lottie to store  or seeds swaps .

We thought about taking our seeds case on the plane with us as checked baggage rather than risk it with Pickfords taking it with the household effects but when we weighed it it was over the limit for checked baggage so we have gradually stuffed the packets antwhere we could as we have been packing.

Every tiny space has been utilised, teapots are stuffed, as are milk jugs, toby jugs, shoes, doll bodies,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 12:53:12 »
Actually I find the suitcases on wheels are the best place to store seeds,easy to move them from lottie to store  or seeds swaps .

We thought about taking our seeds case on the plane with us as checked baggage rather than risk it with Pickfords taking it with the household effects but when we weighed it it was over the limit for checked baggage so we have gradually stuffed the packets antwhere we could as we have been packing.

Every tiny space has been utilised, teapots are stuffed, as are milk jugs, toby jugs, shoes, doll bodies,

XX Jeannine

There was a seed addict from Hull
Whose seed habit she was unable to cull,
Packing up to migrate,
Her seed stash was so great,
She had to leave loads of stuff in the UK because there wasn't room for anything else?
 :-*
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 13:09:22 »
Just seen this thread and thought I'd better confess.

Having just got married last month, the early part of this year was spent searching various websites / store for flower seeds as we were growing the flowers for the wedding.

I saw jungleseeds and found some lovely flower seeds, promptly spent £30 on various items, only 2 packets of which were flowers 'for the wedding!'

My Luffa's are coming along nicely...

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 13:17:54 »
i have been observing you all since the beginning of this thread and all i want to add is:

I REFUSE TO ADMIT TO ANYTHING ;D.

shh!! on the off chance OH reads this and says i told you so :-[.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2008, 21:29:40 »
Really glad I started this thread ;D I have spent most of the last 5 days going through seed sites and written down every thing I would fancy growing and the price ::) (I am ill) but have just totaled up everything on them and I comes to £793 43  :o :o :o so I am really glad I did not just buy them think I will have to be a bit more selective :'( (where I think I am going to grow then I don't know ::))

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2008, 21:35:13 »
I think you have got it really, really, bad.  You definately need counselling.  I feel guilty if I pay 5 packets for £1 at Morrisons.  I think you need group seed counselling.  But on the other hand if you don't have holidays and just plant seeds a two week holiday abroad would probably cost that, but I do think that is a bit over the top.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2008, 22:13:13 »
Have just found one of those large Ameretti tins - perfect for the bean and pea collection.
OH is out tomorrow night....so I think it will be the grand sorting out of the rest of the collection into the large Quality Street tins ;D

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2008, 22:18:26 »
Have you got round index cards for them too Tin Shed? 

Well I mean - one has to have one set for  "harvested", another for "plant by", one for "best before", two sets for veg and flowers by name - ohhhhhhhh  :o

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF1438.jpg

Ninnyscrops  ;D

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 22:34:54 by ninnyscrops »
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal