Author Topic: Seed addiction S.A.A  (Read 22619 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Seed addiction S.A.A
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2009, 22:54:50 »
Today I have shamed myself and succumbed to the addiction.  And only a week into the New Year, shame on me!

Today's purchases (not including the freebies from Gardener's World) are as follows:

Runner bean - white emergo
Peas - early onward
Beetroot - detroit 2
Broad Bean - Green Windsor (I don't even like broad beans!!!)
Carrot - purple haze
Parsnip - hollow crown
carrot - chanterey red cored 2
Cauliflower - all year round
Swede - invitation (I don't like swede either!)
Broccoli - autumn green calabrese
Leek - autumn giant 3
Lettuce - Little Gem
and Brussel Sprouts - Wellington F1

I shall now beat myself with a soggy leek as penance.  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2009, 00:46:48 »
 ::) i had a packet arrive today with seeds i had ordered last October and forgotten about  :o added another 15 packs to the 'few' i have  ;D
Pass the leek over when you are finished  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2009, 02:03:56 »
Forgive me all, its been a while since my last confession.

After the buying trip to France (my hols which somehow converted into a seed buying fest) I lasted for a while and then the new seed catalogues arrived. I seem to have splurged significantly and I am desperately waiting for the postie to try and intercept the parcels before my OH sees them and realises the extent of my addicition, which unfortunately seems to have gone beyond the value of the various gift vouchers he bought from various seed companies for my Christmas pressies.

Do you think I can persuade him that seeds are only 10p a packet nowadays ??? Or should I just go on the attack and point out he fed my addiction with the vouchers and I lost all control when presentd with the online shopping catalogues.  :-\

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2009, 09:16:24 »
Lying is the way of the real addict.
So it depends on your goal: do you really want to give up on your addiction? Really really???
However, 10 p is too improbable for anyone to believe. Make it 20 p and non-gardeners will be persuaded.

But you should also confront him with his own behaviour. He is feeding your addiction and probably has some interest in keeping you addicted.
Try to figure out what it is. It makes it easier to point out that he is at least an accomplice to your addiction, if not the sole one responsible.
(Can you tell I saw a lot of Dr Phil-shows when I was ill?  ;D)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2009, 09:29:15 »
I'm standing in the doorway to this meeting, I don't believe i have an addiction yet but have managed to collect over a hundred different veg seeds since i started in september :o

Maybe i best step in ;D

Neil

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:29 »
I realised I have a problem when my fella brought me home two EMPTY Roses tins from work - I was really happy as I need a new storage system for my seeds.

I gave him a bottle of chainsaw oil in return, in't crumbly luv great!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2009, 15:17:34 »
Should I mention that The Works are selling Johnsons seeds  -three pkts for a pound?
Ex Woolies maybe , in date too.
Sorry

mememe72

• Not So New ...
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2009, 15:54:13 »
well all i can say is that if anyone wants to rid themselves of there addiction you could gladly send your seeds my way and I will happly take them off your hands  ;D :D ;D
Debbie, Neil and Sean

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2009, 16:01:04 »
Tin Shed, Have you seen the hunter wellies at M&M Direct. I've the the short rose ones, 1/2 price.
Janet.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2009, 17:05:13 »
If you dont have a seed collecting problem, then whats the point?
Tho' i do have my catalogue seeds sent to my work address!!

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2009, 18:37:07 »
Hello , my name is Jean and today, I became a seedaholic. Took myself into town as I needed some washing powder. Went into Wilkies. What a mistake. I did remember to get the soap powder but they had some of their own brand veg seeds at 75% off. I found I was unable to resist! Although I had bought several packets of veg seeds last week, I found myself picking up a packet of each variety. They seemed too cheap to leave on the shelf. After Wilkies I trotted of to B&Q to look at the sheds. You've guessed it. The seed display magnet drew me to the stand. I had to stand and argue with myself that I was being stupid buying more seeds. it took great will power but I did come out without seeds but only cos I have promised myself to return on Wednesday-10% day for over 60's. I must get some new garding gloves that are on offer and some string and perhaps a few more packets of Shh you know what

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2009, 18:41:09 »
You must be the quickest seedaholic on the forum, Jeanbean - you only got your lottie yesterday ;D
Now seeds have got into your blood there will be no end of shopping trips like that ;D ;D

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2009, 19:08:39 »
Tin shed you can see that there is no hope for me. I see you are in South Essex, so am I at Rochford. Where do you do your secret seed shopping then?

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2009, 19:31:09 »
ive made a promise with my self that the only two seed packets i can buy now are mange tout and sweet corn!!!!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2009, 22:29:16 »
Jeanbean - as for buying seeds -well so far - Wilkies, last years sale at Thompson and Morgan and at Wyevale, Real Seeds and Premier seeds direct online...... and then of course there are the seed swaps on here ..........and all the seeds in the biscuit tins behind the settee. Not that I am hiding them of course - it just seems the best place to keep them ;D
And as for you, Grannyjanny - I already have a reputation for my wellies down on the lottie :D
Should I just throw caution to the wind and buy more ;D Last years polka dot one caused the most comments ;)

Bobitybob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2009, 22:49:50 »
I am not going to get addicted, I am not going to get addicted, well  at least not today ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2009, 15:52:00 »
The trouble with Morrisons is that they put the plants near the entrance.  I nearly bought some raspberry canes, but thought I already had them at the allotment, but spotted some Lily of the Valley and other bulbs but was very good and walked past.  The seeds are not in there yet so didn't buy anything apart from food.  I might just take a quick trip to B & Q or Homebase tomorrow not to buy, of course, but just to look at the seeds, bulbs, or even dead plants that are reduced and need a bit of loving care. 

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2009, 13:06:47 »
Warning, Sainsburys have got their seeds in and if you buy 3 packets get the cheapest one free.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2009, 21:39:16 »
Well......how come despite giving up my lottie and being relegated to teeny plot at my mums probably an eighth of the size, I'm still buying more seeds???!!!!!  It's getting silly now - I don't have room to plant them!!!!  Somebody save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:34 »
Ok, ok. My names steve and i have a seed problem. I thought i could stop when i wanted. It started with a few of us on site ordering the odd packet now and then, that was fine. Now i sneak them into the shed in the early hours or after dark. I even get my seed catalogues delivered in plain brown rapping and stash them under my bed, then bring them out when the house is empty and have a good read. I'm going cold turkey next year, cancelling all catalogues. If i'm seen laying on the plot shaking, with dribble at the corners of my mouth, you know whats happened.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal