Author Topic: Seed addiction S.A.A  (Read 22446 times)

trinity

• Acre
Seed addiction S.A.A
« on: October 05, 2008, 22:56:41 »
I know there are some other sufferers on hear so I thought I would start a thread for seed addicts anonymous as I can no longer go anywear without purchasing swapping or mentioning seeds
I realised to day when I went for bread and milk and the bill came to £17.85 that I had a serious problem (only £2.96 was for bread and milk ::) ) and was in desperate need to contact other sufferers ;D

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Seed addiction S.A.A
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 23:06:26 »
you mean there are people who dont buy seeds when they go out?
lbb

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 23:10:59 »
seeds are the new shoes
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 23:17:46 »
I have suffered from plant/flower/seed addiction for many years.  I do not think there is any cure.  I used to have a paper and pen addiction and couldn't go to Rymans or Smiths.  I do try to avoid Homebase, B & Q, Woolworth but have been known to sneak a few packets of seeds into my basket at Morrisons but luckily they are not selling them at present.  If you know the gardening section in a shop you can always afford that aisle or go with OH who is impatient and moans a lot so it is difficult to buy anything.  Anyhow it could be worse, some people have addictions to clothes and shoes and they are much more expensive.  

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 23:22:03 »
"So, I do seeds now and then, I can handle it!" ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:59 »
"So, I do seeds now and then, I can handle it!" ;D

But that's how it starts for many! A bit of cress here, a few sprouting seeds there, and next thing you know you have a full blown seed habit with boxes full of the things hidden under the bed.

You know you have a problem when you start doing it behind the other half's back - sneaking them home while they're asleep... hiding receipts...

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 13:28:50 »
The need for seed.
There is not a Seed Tsar so it can't be a problem, then again I have just saved some tom seeds from lunch.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 13:57:55 »
Hi my name is lucy and im addicted to seeds.  :o

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 20:20:45 »
Seeds are the new black.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 20:27:13 »
I not only have a problem with seeds, but also with coloured wellington boots.  ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 21:12:26 »
When Gordon tugs on my arm at the garden centre or in the supermarket I know he is trying to steer me away from the seed racks. That's when I say "oh, I'll just have a quick look", so I guess I need SAA too  ;D.

Tricia

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 21:49:26 »
and this time of year, when it is too wet and miserable to go to the allotment, what better way to pass a wet Sunday afternoon but go through the seed catalogues that are coming through the door at this time of year and start planning for next year!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 21:57:48 »
Hi my name is Lauren and I'm a seed-a-holic.  ::)
My sat nav is set for the seed stands at the garden centres. Wyvale had a 50p sale and I couldn't resist buying a couple (gross) of packets. I don't want to be cured  :-*

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 22:09:57 »
I do find that this seed addiction gets worse as one gets older, when I was young I was out at discos but find younger people nowadays hanging around gardening centres begging for seeds.  Do we have all night seed shops yet, in case one gets desperate at night.  Better stop reading this post or will have to pop out to the supermarket and see if they have any seeds in stock. Perhaps they should put seed dispensers in toilets next to the 'y no what'.  Seed packets with health warnings on.  Perhaps we should have a seed amnesty when we could hand unused boxes of seed packets into the local police station.  (I am only joking).  I found it relatively easy to give up cut flowers and pot plants but find completely giving up seeds more difficult.  Perhaps the doctor could give me seed patches for the first week, then I could gradually cut down.  It is not too bad in summer/winter but gets really bad in the Spring.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 22:24:43 »
Thanks everyone...your comments have made me smile!
I reckon that you can't have too many seeds...
http://flightplot.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/too-many-seeds/
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 22:55:36 »
Hi all and Lauren - my name is Ninnyscrops - I'm also doing a perennial plant sale at garden centres addiction course  ::)

£40 squids worth for under £9 on Saturday with son's gf, whilst son was playing footy and prob costing him half that for 90 mins.........................

Where's the problem  ???  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 01:38:34 »
Its not an addiction !! i dont think 700 variety of seeds is OTT !!
I still have space for any homeless lost or un loved seeds, some have been in my care for many years and many generations of some are still with me  ;D
Caring for seeds is rewarding !!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 01:45:00 »
anyway if it was bad our friends wouldnt keep on telling us about seed sites we didnt know about
lbb

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:05 »
I not only have a problem with seeds, but also with coloured wellington boots.  ;D

TinShed I have the same problem ~ Have you seen the new B&Q wellies!! ;D
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:02 »
My 11 year old son made Wyvales staff laugh a few weeks ago.

I'd already been down to the store early in the seed sale 50p per packet bonanza and bought a load of seeds for next year, but had to go back to the store to get some more compost a week or so later. I spotted the remaining buckets full of seeds near the exit, and started meandering towards them.....son yells out...."MUM! NO! Step AWAY from the SEED PACKETS! ;D

I felt about 11 yrs old myself, saying "Oh go on, I was just going to have a quick look in case I'd missed anything good...I won't be long.." I was dragged away... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal