Author Topic: Camellia  (Read 1662 times)

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
Camellia
« on: October 24, 2008, 18:04:47 »
I've received a Camellia plant as a leaving present from work, does anybody grow these on their allotment? will they grow on the allotment ? or shall I take it back and get a new pair of secatairs ?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Camellia
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 18:28:00 »
Camellias need ericaceous compost / soil to thrive. So unless you know the ph of your soil I would put it in a pot. They are a woodland plant, so need the shelter that the woodland environment would give them.

The worst offender is frost on the flower buds in spring, makes them drop.

You may enjoy it better out of your window at home ;)

Good luck :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

amberleaf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:30:54 »
They are better in the garden because you get the flowers when there are few others about.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:08 »
I'd love to have a camellia, but I only know one in someone's garden which does its stuff to perfection. It's in a cosy sun-trap corner, sheltered from the frost. Others I've seen are poor sad specimens - alive but not thriving. I'm in the midlands. I'd think that unless you can provide the right sheltered conditions, you, and it, might be in for a disappointment. :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:46 »
They used to build camelia houses, like those at Woollaton hall, but not really needed. I think the Ph is the biggest problem and grow mine in an old dustbin..
Squirrels like the buds too, well our resident pest does...  :-\

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 21:45:52 »
Camellias love moist, acid soil and dappled shade. Avoid an exposed position where frosted flowers could be damaged.  It's also important to keep them well watered in the summer.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 00:42:12 »
Also,  plant in a spot which is protected from the early morning spring sun.

They hate thier buds/flowers being defrosted/scorched by the sun before the surrounding air warms up.

They need plenty of water  in late summer when next years flower buds are forming. By water, I mean rain water, as tap water contains too much lime.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 01:48:25 »
mine are just about to flower, i have them planted in heavy clay i dug a big hole and back filled with acid soil and it seams to work :)

You could plant it with your blueberrys but probably better at home in the garden :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal