Author Topic: Manure  (Read 1297 times)

vague

• Not So New ...
Manure
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:52:09 »
I've just started my own allotment the beginning of this year, and looking for manure to dig in for the winter.  I've heard that there is has been a problem with conamination, and just wondered if there was anybody who knows of a reliable source in the hastings area that may deliver?  Would also be grateful for any advice on the matter.

Also, could anybody recommend a good seed catalogue with a good range of edible plants?  Would love to try something a little more adventerouse for the next year comming!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Manure
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 13:46:03 »
Can't help you with a supplier but here is the sorry tale.  The contamination is from a hormone weedkiller, aminopyralid, that was introduced 2 years ago.  It is sprayed to control broad-leaved weeds on pasture that is then eaten by horses and cows or on hay crops that are harvested and sold as feed.  The weedkiller survives being eaten and excreted and if applied as a soil improver, kills or damages 'sensitive' plants - potatoes, tomatoes, peas and beans, aubergines, lettuce, raspberries and certain ornamentals.  If contaminated manure has been dug in, it is likely to affect crops for more than one growing season.  The weedkiller binds very strongly to the lignin in the sprayed plant material.  It is only when the hay or grass has completely rotted away which can take many months that the weedkiller is released into the soil where it is broken down into harmless compounds by soil organisms in around 3 weeks.

If you really have to use manure, ask the supplier if they can absolutely guarantee that nothing the animals have eaten has been sprayed.  They may say they don't spray which is fine but if they buy in feed, they're unlikely to know if it has been sprayed.  If they can't or won't guarantee it's safe, don't use it is my advice.  There is no way to tell in advance if it is contaminated and there is no way to make it safe if it is.

Do a search on the forum for 'aminopyralid' and read about all the people who have lost their crops this year.

And Google it to get an idea of the size of the problem.

Welcome to A4A - lots of good stuff here!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 13:54:21 by ceres »

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 15:24:08 »
Thanks very much for the info.  I didn't realise it was such a large problem.  Will definately take onboard your advice!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 19:00:56 »
hiya, vague..welcome to the site  ;D
lots of on line catalogues, www.nickys-nursery.co.uk has some unusual seeds  :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:35:55 »
Vague, try asking other allotment holders like I did I then found someone who delivered manure and the stuff I got was old and well rotted I had my manure delivered last Sunday and had a couple of sessions spreading this week before the rain came, other than than that there are a couple of companies on the internet that deliver manure nationwide but it don't come cheap :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 18:55:49 »
Talking to a mate of mine at the weekend who keeps an allotment at the other end of town, he said to me months ago that he might be able to help me in obtaining some muck, since then I sorted my own supply out , he then tells me that he just had twelve ton delivered for a communal muck heap and it did not cost a penny, he plays skittles with the farmer his mate :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 19:04:14 »

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 21:08:14 »
Cheers for the link, will check it out! :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal