Author Topic: Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) not flowering  (Read 1118 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) not flowering
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:35:39 »
I grew a couple of plants from seed in 2006 and last year they put on a fine display of flowers over the summer.  This year I've not had one.   :(   I cut them down last autumn and there is plenty of new foliage.  The only feed they have had is a top dressing of slow release organic fertilizer in the spring.  They are in 10" pots in semi shade.  Any ideas please?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) not flowering
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 12:19:12 »
Hi Georgie,

Only thing I can suggest is that as I normally see it growing on coastal scrub land and poor soil areas is that it might be getting too many nutrients & only putting on foliar growth.

I would  treat it as an alpine & apart from avoiding waterlogging or getting covered by leaves in autumn, just let it do it's thing.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:03 »
Can't help Georgie but one of mine which you gave me has 3 nice flowering stems. It is in a flower bucket and I put 2 little slow release feed cones in the bucket. It is against the back wall of my bungalow which gets sun (joke) until late afternoon.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 15:38:43 »
Thanks Froglets.  I did wonder whether they were getting too many nutrients, even though they are in the same compost as last year.

Glad yours are doing well, Lorna.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal