Author Topic: What to do next  (Read 1636 times)

johno

• Not So New ...
What to do next
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:29:05 »
Having had my lottie for about 3 months now and being a big plot (126ftx30ft) i decided to dig it over but seemed to be getting nowhere so decided to have it rotavated i know its not everybodys choice but we went down that road we are now turning the plot over slowly and trying to get all the weeds and roots out but was wondering if it would be best to cover the plot with plastic and uncover has we go along or leave it open and wait for the frosts to arrive any advice would be helpfull

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
Re: What to do next
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:27 »
A rough dig or turn over might be useful prior to covering.  We cover parts or our plats that are not in use as this reduces the amount of weeds that grow, and any small weeds are left to break down over a period of time under the plastic as they sweat away.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:12:18 »
I think at this stage keep it covered :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 13:43:21 »
Good advice and welcome to the site Martin...  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 15:01:12 »
welcome to the site, martin, nice to meet you  ;D
we covered first with thick cardboard then weed control/black plastic/ old carpet (I know, I know, not recommended but it was a few years ago  ;D )
kept all the light from the weeds and killed them off  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 19:30:25 »
Welcome.  Any of my beds that are not being used are always covered.  Easier to prepare when its time for them to be used.  Soft ground,  mostly weed free too.  Cover it as soon as it is cleared till you are to use it.  Best way.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 20:05:24 »
Have you thought of using green manure?

It's a shame to leave the beds empty when you could be growing it over the winter then dig it in, about a month before you need the beds.

I have just dug and weeded two small triangular beds that will be used by my two boys 8 and 11 and seeded with Phacelia . I have hungerian rye that will be used in their rectangular beds.

I have not had my plot long but wanted to plant stuff as soon as i cleared an area.

Just an idea for you to think about.

Neil

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:39:45 »
Have you thought of using green manure?
Yes I have.  But the amount of seed per packet does not go very far.  Didn't want to be buying loads of packets of seeds for something I ain't gonna be eating.  Unless I can get it supplied by the kg at reasonable prices then I will be sticking to covering.  I have not ruled it out just yet,  just have not found a supplier of large quantities.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:45 »
Not sure what you consider a 'reasonable price', but.....http://www.cotswoldseeds.com/summerGM.htm
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 13:02:45 »
ktlawson
It might be worth just doing a % rather than the whole amount, i will have 4 full size beds and thought of 3 being used for crops and 1 for green manure, then rotate each year. But that might change once i start planting all the different fruit and veg.

Not sure what you consider a 'reasonable price', but.....http://www.cotswoldseeds.com/summerGM.htm
Thanks for the link Deb, i have been looking for somewhere that does it by the kg.

Neil

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 13:41:09 »

That will be fine for me.  Thanks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal