Author Topic: Allotment Owners in NORTH WEST ENGLAND!! HELP ME!!  (Read 9951 times)

zslbird

• Not So New ...
Allotment Owners in NORTH WEST ENGLAND!! HELP ME!!
« on: September 27, 2008, 14:13:41 »
My name is, Zoe Bird.
I'm originally from Leicestershire, and surrounded by farmland and have spend many days as a kid helping on local farms and enjoying life with fresh fruit and veg.

I’m currently studying Biology - Natural science at Liverpool John Moore’s University. As I have always loved growing crop's. I’ve decided to carry out research on the soil content within allotment within the Liverpool area, particle as Liverpool allotment community has grown immensely, and due to the success at the city council allotments awards.

My question to you Allotment holders within Liverpool, Is that I would like to find out the natural content of your soil within your allotment site.

My study involves simply analysing the soil, using an XRF machine.

(An XRF uses X-rays to look at the chemical make-up of an object or material. With the use of a computer to look at the analysis, researchers can see peaks that indicate the chemical elements and their concentrations (Davis 1989: 236*).

This piece of equipment is very expensive and is used by biologist, conservations, and environmentalists. 

The advantages of analysing your soil, can determine the best types of treatment to apply to your crops and allotment which will enable you to get the best out of your allotment. The results can indicate the best possible nutrients to add to your soil, such as the addition of lime. I will provide everyone that takes part with you XRF results which will tell you all about the nutrients available to your plants.

The soil samples are very small and will not influence or affect the crops you are growing or crops which you will grow in the future.

Admin here - I've removed your address details, probably best if people use your email address initially.

Thank you so much.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 14:31:02 by Admin aka Dan »

zslbird

• Not So New ...
Re: Allotment Owners in NORTH WEST ENGLAND!! HELP ME!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 14:20:27 »
Or Email me:

z.s.bird@2006.ljmu.ac.uk

Thank you!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:16:46 »
Have you tried asking allaboutliverpool.He may help. :)

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 17:33:46 »
we had something like this done on our site a few years ago i did not have a plot at the time but a few of the lads have told me about it anyway the test showed a large amount of arsenic in the soil so the whole site was closed and more test taken all the plots where band from growing ewt that year to keep a long story short the first test was wrong and to compensate they got a free rent the following year not a lot for the hassle they had to go through
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

zslbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 20:42:58 »
I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm working with a very good lot of Professors and Doctors at the university who also have their own allotment within the Wirral and are also taking part. Furthermore my grandfather in Leicestershire is also helping and supporting me. Allotments are very important and are close to my heart, the study is about the types of nutrients available to the products.

The XRF machine is a very good bit of equipment; it scans the soil for its chemicals and nutrients, and tells you and myself the best treatment for the soil. And it’s important to reserve the soil as it takes many years from soil to form, and people which have the time and ability to grow produce i admire, more so than ever as I currently live over 130 miles away from my family and I miss the food that grows at my grandfathers allotment, which you rarely see in supermarkets. Particular the vegetables, for Sunday dinner.

Secondly, there are so many regulations and laws these's days people which are a part of the council and committee are not going to allow you to dig and touch contaminated soil. Also do you think Liverpool council would provide a huge sum of money to allotments in Liverpool if they were contaminated?

Furthermore, minerals such as As (Arsenic), and metals such as Cu (Copper), are found in soil but elements in the soil play a major part in helping the right nutrients become available to the plant, through a chemical process known as a substution. And plants themselves are formed to survive and many have small pores of a particular size in the roots to prevent the uptake of chemicals which are off harm.
The study will simply look at the components of the soil, and results could show something simple like high levels of clay, therefore lime will help the nutrient to become available to the produce.
Research like this helps scientists to develop and create weed killers, miracle grow to enable the right crop to grow at a good standard.
Zoe

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 20:50:03 »
aren't there people here from Sefton Park Allotments?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 23:34:47 »
Welcome to the forum Zoe, it will be great for people living in the Wirral to find out what's in their soil. Fancy doing a test or two from East Midlands? ;D ;D ;D

Hope to hear a lot more from you on the forum ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 00:48:33 »
Would the tests be affected by the additives used for crop rotation, eg. manure, lime, compost, peat, potash, BFB or bone meal? Wouldn't this give a different reading depending on which part of the plot you tested?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb

zslbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:11:50 »
Yes, results will vary depending on the treatment and the plant species, that’s why its advised to take three small samples at random of the profile. Ranging top, middle and bottom (one from each).
However, if there was enough time available I would try and build a profile in terms of the plot, a small sketch, and then I would possible take 3-4 small samples from different parts the plot and see if the ways the crops are rotated make a difference. Different Varity of crops do take out different nutrients from the soil that’s why crop rotation is so successful and efficient. But a profile of the nutrients available at different points of the plot can be helpful and could possible influence the order of the products you rotate.

zslbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:20:25 »
Star... Where abouts in east midlands you from?
I'm from Leicestershire and my grandad's allotment is down there which is also going to be tested.

zslbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:36:12 »
Hey, thanks again.

Well if you want to start testing any time soon that will be great i understand that many people may be working so i will try to arrange times best for everyone.

I'm available, Wed 1st Oct (All day), Friday 3rd (All day), Saturday 4th (only a couple of hours 10-12, as its my brothers birthday), Monday 6th (All day), Tues 7th Afternoon, Wed 8th (all day), Sat 18th (All day) and Sunday 19th (All day).

I hope thats enough dates, and that there is a day which is suitable.

Thank you.

Zoe

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 21:03:58 »
BUMP

Mandrill

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 18:06:23 »
Hi

Is Runcorn too far for you?

Allison

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 19:25:23 »
thank you zoe for coming along yesterday,was very nice to meet you both and we are looking forward to the results very much indeed!
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 20:23:36 »
Zoe,

Drop me a PM and you can come down to Harthill Allotments and grab a soil sample.

Cheers

Dan

zslbird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 18:29:46 »
thank you rach, it was really nice to meet you to.
Been a busy weekend. was down in leicester at my grandads. found out that the site of hes a allotment use to be a battle field, during the roman and saxson period. Soil dont seem to have a more clay content and less worms :(
  i cant wait to get analysing. Thank you again. i will keep you posted!
Thank you x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 20:00:24 »
How about Edinburgh? ;D ;D Would be great if you could come along!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 13:45:00 »
still waiting for our results  ???
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 13:51:18 »
have you e-mailed to Zoe?
Seems rude to have asked for help and promised you results :( ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 13:52:57 by pumpkinlover »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal