Author Topic: Greenhouses on Gardeners World  (Read 9396 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Greenhouses on Gardeners World
« on: September 26, 2008, 21:29:03 »
Just watched Gardeners World and they bought an old greenhouse.  I just thought they should have said something about safety glass as I do not have young children but grandchildren and when my son bought a house with an old greenhouse in it, with three young children, we knocked it down, also drained the pond.  My brother, many years ago run through a glass door and ended up in hospital.  My mini greenhouse is covered with plastic and I would love a new greenhouse and today I am sure the regulations make the glass shatter proof, like windscreens.  We are not allowed greenhouses on our allotment, although they may make special rules for the BBC, but I would complain if the glass wasn't childproof or whatever.  Joe Swift has got young children so he should know the dangers of them running about.  I am an old age pensioner so am able to moan for England.  Did anyone else watch it.  Not too impressed with Toby Buckland but perhaps allotments are the new thing, a bit like makeover your house in 60 minutes, which programme makes me scream until I find the off button to turn if off.  Have been watching the old films, ie. High Society, Carousel, South Pacific etc. and they are brilliant and even my grandchildren watch them whilst playing them computer games. 

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouses on Gardeners World
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 00:31:57 »
Oh come on we are too sanitised as it is. I have never seen a child on Gardeners World. So what is the problem?

I could go on but I do not want to be rude.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 00:57:14 »
If you fit safety glass in an old greenhouse it will fall down and probably kill someone. "Safety first" is just that. Safety first. Keep the kids away from the greenhouse and teach them to behave.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 01:21:48 »
Allotments are not play areas for young children.

My lotty has signs stating that children must be monitored at all times and are not allowed on to other peoples plots.

You can have whatever you like in the privacy/confines of your own garden, but I see no reason to buy shatter proof glass for my GH.

Yes windscreens are shatter proof. If a child decides to jump through my windscreen, especially at 30mph, they should be restrained in some way.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:45:38 »
We have plenty of children on our allotment and one allotment has been taken over by the local school to encourage the children to grow vegetables.  Can't wait to see them all up there and am saving the Let's Grow vouchers from Morrisons for them. Our youngest allotment baby was only born a month ago and comes to the allotment with Daddy in a sling. The point I was trying to make was Toby Buckland said he bought a second hand green house for the allotment.  I just thought that if it was old and some of the panes broken it could be dangerous.  Of course if it is assembled properly and maintained no problem, but just had images of broken down old greenhouses appearing on all allotments.  The greenhouse in my son's garden was falling down and all the glass broken or shattered so as he wanted the garden for the children to play in he knocked it down.  Then we had to pick up all the sharp pieces of glass which were lethal and pointed.  I think most glass nowadays is shatterproof. We do have a little girl that wanders around the allotments and have to be careful with the pond.  I know it is the parents responsibility but children do sometimes wander off.  I think most glass is toughened nowadays but will shut up now.  Just had visions of slamming the green house door and all the glass shattering. I suppose I have memories of my brother running round the house and putting his arm through the glass kitchen back door and ending up in hospital.  I do not think this would happen today as the glass on back doors is toughened. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 13:47:23 »
We are not allowed greenhouses on our allotment, although they may make special rules for the BBC, but I would complain if the glass wasn't childproof or whatever. 

That is why there are no greenhouses on your lotties. It is your attitude that has spoilt it for the rest of the plotholders.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 14:18:00 »
I have two greenhouses one  at home that has safety glass in it as standard but the one on the lottie is hortiglass which is cheaper to replace than toughened glass when kids decide to use it as a target for stones, the glass is also easier to get hold of, allotments are not play grounds for running around and children should always be watched, my greenhouse was 2nd hand and it had many broken panes of glass which were replaced before erecting and the broken glass recycled at the tip, with a bit of common sense applied they are safe and practical pieces of kit.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 16:56:59 »
We always had a greenhouse in the garden when I was a kid - I think we were just taught not to go running about near it and especially not into it.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 17:20:46 »
Here's my lottie  greenhouse. Made out of old council house windows. Not by me I hasten to add. I'm not that good!! ;D ;D :P[attachment=1]

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 17:50:18 »
That looks great, Anne- abit like mine (also made by a previous tenant).

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 18:05:58 »
I really enjoyed GW with toby buckland I thought he is a vast improvment I also love alys(sp? she gives good advice. I,v watched the last 2 progs and there seems to be
more about propagation and less of "buy this plant in a pot and this is how you dig a hole for it "my site does not allow greenhouses or sheds but I have one in my garden
and agree children should be taught that glass breaks and that some things are dangerous if they arn,t taught and stray out of their mollicoddled world they are in trouble.
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 19:39:26 »
Have just looked up greenhouses and most of the new ones come with safety glass so I can't be completely mad.  Someone, somewhere must agree with me. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 19:45:01 »
I agree that if it's practical then it's sensible!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 20:01:21 »
Thanks OllieC.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 20:37:43 »
I'd have thought (not that I gave it much thought, actually ::)) that all greenhouse glass was, in some way, 'safety' glass? Not to molly-coddle out-of-control children but just as a 'modern' safety improvement on 'ordinary' glass?  When the elderly rel. of next door accidentally stumbled and fell against and through their greenhouse glass, resulting in shattered shards and the sword of Damacles pointing down at her throat, but with not, we later discovered, a mark on herself,  it was a great excuse for the rest of us to drink brandy for the rest of the afternoon 8) ;D

Hold my hand up, tho, to batting a cricket ball through neighbour's greenhouse glass when I was a nippa..... :-[

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:43:26 »
Many years ago I knocked an old glasshouse down as I was concerned for my children's safety.Also the safety of their friends who would visit.
It was a large garden and they used to play ball games.
I think it is good to be careful with children around,accidents can happen,nothing to do with how well behaved they are.

I agree that glasshouses should be allowed on allotments but only with safety glass.Ramshackle sheds are one thing,ramshackle glasshouse,no way.
You do not have to be a child or an elderly person to have a nasty accident. :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:12 »
Now that goes against the grain for the majority on A4A . How may plotters on here are dedicated to search for old windows/ glass etc to make their coldframes. Now a little trip and a fall into one of those is going to leave you in a sorry state, nobody seems worried about those. I love the ingenuity of these people that make their own. If I have to use the train, it really cheers me up as we go past allotment sites with all the individual ramshackle buildings.

Its part of the allotment culture.

I agree safety should come first. So if you are going to take somebody to your allotment be it child or codger. Try a little risk assesment first. Don't let them go if they don't tick the boxes.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 11:25:10 »
 :P

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 11:30:26 »
Personally I daren't let Annabelle (age 3) leave the house unless she signs a disclaimer first. It's a minefield out there I tell ya...

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 11:45:26 »
Yes it is a minefield Ollie.

My kids were three over thirty years ago so maybe I have a little more experience at parenting than you.Safety where kids is concerned should be your priority.

I know I will be shot down for this but am I bothered?

I am sick of going out shopping for eg and seeing young kids allowed to run riot.The young parents now seem to have no idea how to keep their kids safe.

How many three year old can understand this world and its dangers.?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal