Author Topic: Rules and Regs  (Read 2265 times)

BTCV STEVE

• Not So New ...
Rules and Regs
« on: September 15, 2008, 19:41:07 »
As i have said i am working on a project to reopen 8 allotments that have been left to go wild.

but before i can start work on the site we need somewhere to live and go out of the rain and yes a cup of tea or two.

but we have run into a problem.

one and only one small part of the council have told us we need planning permission to put a shipping container on the site.

i think this is the best thing we can do they are strong weter proof and safe to store tool.

but they tell us they would look out of place and planning permission is need.

so my question is have anyone ever come across anything like this before?????????

Squashman

• Half Acre
Re: Rules and Regs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 20:06:09 »
Hi
Planning permission for containers in my area is required not only for containers but also allotment sheds, greenhouses, tunnels etc.
For free advice and information leaflets for your project why not contact "The Allotment Regeneration Initiative" email address: www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari or the Federation of City farms and gardens.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 00:05:32 »
what if you say you will clad it in wood to give it a shed feel?

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 13:25:56 »
Surely you only need planning permision for a permanant structure, after all you see shipping container on building sites and they are moved after the houses are built, and once its on the lottie with a hedge grown round it who would know it was there.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:02 »
Is it planning permission? or Landlords permission ..Sound's odd to me that You would need planning permission ...  :-\
Cheers .. Jim

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 23:29:23 »
So, let me see.

You're keen to be organic, and scornful of people who use weedkiller.

Of course, you can't start work until you have somewhere to swig tea.  Tea, of all things! That most exploitative of drinks.

And your idea of a nice environmentally friendly shelter for your tea-guzzling is a rusty old container.

And because you think you're so jolly righteous in your little charitable endeavour, you think you can flout the rules.

Good luck with that.  :)

BTCV STEVE

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 14:24:09 »
it planning permission the council say we have to have but paul w you see the shipping container everywhere we have said we will paint any colour they like clad it in timber if need and plant shrubs all around it but no.

we have to use shipping container as if we had a wooden shed it would get broken into or burnt to te ground.

if we was trying to flout the rules we would have just put the shipping container on the site but no we as if we need permission.
as for it being and old rusty container sorry its brand new.

thank you for every with there help.

tonyw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 14:34:02 »
thats a bit harsh melbourne12, dont you think? i thought the people on this sight helped with passing on information to each other. or is it just a minority that doesnt?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 15:24:20 »
hiya, BCTV STEVE.
we've just had to get planning permission for our polytunnels, someone put a complaint in so the environmental health dept had to act...they've given us planning permission for 5 years, then we have to re-apply and pay a fee  :-\
the national society told us we didn't need permission but our council thinks differently  >:(

BTCV STEVE

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 18:03:07 »
maincscousers i know what you are going though.
the council i am working with some parts are great but others are a pain.

but thats life!

best of luck with your polytunnel thats a long way of for our site but you never know.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 18:16:21 »
So, let me see.

You're keen to be organic, and scornful of people who use weedkiller.

Of course, you can't start work until you have somewhere to swig tea.  Tea, of all things! That most exploitative of drinks.

And your idea of a nice environmentally friendly shelter for your tea-guzzling is a rusty old container.

And because you think you're so jolly righteous in your little charitable endeavour, you think you can flout the rules.

Good luck with that.  :)

How charming,you must come round for a cup of tea sometime :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 00:00:13 »
betula,not for the first time,i second that emotion!!!!!!!
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:38:42 »
Our rules clearly state that we must not put up any structures more than 12 x 12 and that we must ask permission first before putting up any greenhouse or shed.

I consider that a small price to pay considering that some sites are not alowed any buildings at all.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal