Author Topic: pears  (Read 719 times)

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
pears
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:11:59 »
Hi everyone,

this year I've had the most pears ever on my tree - Think the variety is Williams.

They were ready to pick ( ie came off very easily when tried) and I left them a couple of days in the kitchen. When I went to eat them most had a discoloured brown middle and beginning to rot from the inside although they looked lovely.

Does anyone know what the cause is ? how it can be prevented ?

I looked in my fruit book and nothing like it.

Thanks  Gail 

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: pears
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 15:13:48 »
Sounds a bit like codling moth damage, the same type of thing that affects apples. You should see the exit hole and maybe even larvae inside the pear. If it is this, this link from RHS may help:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0601/codling_moth.asp

Pears do rot very quickly once they are over-ripe though. You say they came off the tree easily which leads me to think they may have been too ripe. I think pears are one of the few fruits that you can pick slightly under-ripe to be ripened indoors, so that you can eat them at the peak of perfection.

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
Re: pears
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:48 »
Thanks Jenny,

had a look and don't think its codling moth as can't see any hole/frass/tunnel.

The pears were still hard/firm and slightly green when I picked them thats why I left them to ripen before eating.

Its just a bit disappointing as they looked so good !! just another one of those mysteries of growing your own produce, I guess !!!!!!!!!

reagrds Gail :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal