Author Topic: chestnut blight  (Read 1930 times)

ACE

• Hectare
chestnut blight
« on: September 23, 2008, 14:56:57 »
We had a tree surgeon around to look at a few trees on an estate I am working on at the moment. His advice on all the leaves, conkers and twigs that we usually compost, was to burn the lot.

Evidently there is a disease going around that causes large cankers on horse chestnuts and it can be carried in the falling leaves.The trees will die out like the elms if we are not careful.

So if you have conker trees in your road or near your lotty, don't be tempted to use the fallings for compost. You will only help the spread of the disease.

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: chestnut blight
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 15:50:15 »
I am glad you mentioned this Ace, it is so sad to see the chestnuts all looking so sad, it seems to be throughout Hampshire, in fact I was looking at one on the way to the allotment this morning.

When the roadsweeper machines clear the kerbs I hope they don't put their leaves in the council green waste, but I bet that happens. :(

I love horse chestnut trees.

T.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 18:24:15 »
There have been a lot of reports of this. It's an introduced species, but it's become such a feature of so many places it would be sad to lose it.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 19:07:51 »
This is a rotten disease, have noticed it for the past 2 years on the A104 which is lined with horse chestnut trees around the Woodford area. So sad to see all these lovely trees with ghastly brown blotches on the leaves in midsummer.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 21:34:34 »
I havent seen one healthy Horse Chestnut tree in the last couple of years. :'(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal