Author Topic: Seeds rotten in tomatoes, help please!  (Read 2406 times)

texas01

• Not So New ...
Seeds rotten in tomatoes, help please!
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:03 »
Hello

I'm writing on behalf of my mum who has a greenhouse full of plum tomatoes. They look lovely but when we cut into them the seeds are rotten in every one. Could anyione enlighten me as to what this is and what has caused it? It is not affecting the flesh at all, just the seeds.

Many thanks.
Texas

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Seeds rotten in tomatoes, help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 17:45:05 »
 :-\  never heard of that Texas...

texas01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 18:41:58 »
I know, it's very strange. I've looked at loads of books and searched the internet but not found anything. Such a shame as the tomatoes look lovely but when cut open the seeds are black and dry. It's affected almost every one. I'll keep looking, there must be an answer somewhere.
Texas

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 19:11:29 »
I found these articles on Blossom End Rot:

"An internal BER (termed ‘black seeds’) may also occur when the necrotic region develops in the parenchyma tissue surrounding the young seeds and in the distal placenta (Fig. 2A; Estabrooks and Tiessen, 1972; Adams and Ho, 1992). Internal BER is considered to be either a milder form of the disorder or an earlier phase in the development of external BER."

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/4/571

"......but it can occasionally occur at the side of the fruit and can sometimes produce an internal, black lesion that is not visible from the exterior of the fruit."

Odd that it's affecting every single one though.  Could she be growing them in something seriously calcium deficient?

http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=376746

texas01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 19:53:35 »
Thanks for that Ceres. There were other plants affected with BER which had the common signs of brown 'bottoms' on the tomatoes. Seems like the this plant may have another symptom of the same problem. They were all grown in growbags specifically for tomatoes. Seems mum was unlucky this year.

Thanks again  ;)
Texas

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 00:05:52 »

"An internal BER (termed ‘black seeds’) may also occur when the necrotic region develops in the parenchyma tissue surrounding the young seeds and in the distal placenta "

Tomato plants have a placenta!!! I have learnt something new today....... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 17:01:41 »
Hi Texas01

I've just cut into some of my lovely toms to find some of mine have had the same problem! Not all of them affected, but certainly several off one plant. There were no signs of 'classical' BER on this or other plants, so very strange.

I'm wondering if anyone else has suffered the same issue, or whether it's just you and me?!  :-\

texas01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 19:16:57 »
Hi Oakmore2, Well I'm sorry you've got it too but relieved it's not just me! There was another plant that had the classic BER symptoms but this was disposed of ages ago and was different type of tomato. Been looking on internet to see if I can find any pictures of it but nothing  ??? I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything. We want to know what it is so we can try and prevent it next year.
Texas

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 19:43:26 »
Certainly not just you, I have had the same problem too, for the first time this year. It has only affected my plum tomatoes and again, there was no sign of any damage from the outside of the fruit. Mine have been outside so I don't think it can be greenhouse related.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal