Author Topic: What on earth is going on here?  (Read 1800 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
What on earth is going on here?
« on: September 27, 2008, 23:22:19 »
Dan

It's all very well 'locking a thread before things get out of hand' (see http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,45911.0.html) but I for one find that quite unsatisfactory.  It's bad enough when members start sniping at each other - and let's face it there's been quite a bit of that recently - but I expect better of the mods.  Okay it looks like I started it but I was only stating my opinion and I wasn't being personal. I dread to think what newcomers think.  :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: What on earth is going on here?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 23:29:49 »
dan
sorry cant leave Georgie standing alone
it was already out of hand
lbb

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 23:33:38 »
 :-[

Personally I ignore members who seem to be out to create havoc, but in doing so I suspect I lose a great deal of what's going on. Seems to me that those who consistently post unpleasant and spiteful remarks should be on a 3 strikes and you are out system!

Am with Georgie tho.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 00:05:28 »
Well, I guess with so much trolling, sniping and a few unpleasantries between members of late, Dan is just erring on the side of caution? 

Can't say I disagree with the 3 strikes and out idea though.  No moderator wants to bump off a member but there are obvious wind up merchants on here at the moment that seem to be rattling a few cages (there's always the ignore button though as Katy pointed out)

:) :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:43:24 »
I support Georgie on this one too. I checked the thread tonight to see how the voting was coming along. I read Georgie's comment, which was perfectly valid, expressed politely and with an apology. I was astonished to read what followed. As LBB said, it had already got out of hand before you locked the thread.

What began as an entirely reasonable suggestion for a new board topic and was initially met with enthusiasm and good humour from members was completely hijacked.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:50:16 by Amazin »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 13:19:42 »
Oh dear!

I see that my vote for Machines and Tools was a non-starter, too. Pity,  cos I thought by its title it encompassed not only garden-related stuff, but would also have been the place BaccyMan could have asked for help about his leaking w/machine seal until the spare part arrived, for instance......the one and only time I came up with a solution to anything vaguely mechanical and now it's disappeared...bang goes my Claim to Fame ;)

I thought Georgie's comments were perfectly reasonable and expressed politely.

Lastly....should this new board ever materialize, it'll always be thought of by me as P&B......inspirational! (tho, OK, not perhaps suitable.... ;D)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 14:06:31 »
I notice that Flunky, who suggested it 'cos of his lawnmower repairing questions, hasn't input much...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 14:32:28 »
I am right by Georgie's side too, the comment was very reasonable. What I find astonishing is what seemed to me to be a temper tantrum by a moderator, sorry Kenkew but that is how it came across.

My opinion is that if one chooses to act as a moderator on a site then you have to be professional at all times and the option of rebuffing is not there anymore.

There has been a lot of snipey remarks lately and I for one am guilty, however it has always been in answer to a couple of other posters who have been very  rude.

Two wrongs don't make a right but the couple of folks who are doing this (and you know who you are are ) have been  to say the least  annoying and they lay themselves wide open to receiving bad comments back.

Perhaps this is why Dan closed the thread early.

Dan I agree with you somewhat but I have to say many many more threads have gone by that were really offensive and left open so I don't understand why that one was closed so quickly, and it stands to reason that the conversation would shift to another one..it has.

As one of the posters who came up with an idea to this thread, and have voted, where are we now..has it been scrapped.

With respect

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 14:36:22 »
I closed the thread last night, as it was brought to my attention - I can not possibly read all the threads - I rely on people letting me know when a problem arises.

I will deal with the problem, as most people know.

Dan

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 14:41:27 »
Democracy don't come cheap. :-X :-X

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 14:56:49 »
Since we emigrated from the Beeb boards, Dan has consistently been fair and reasonable I've found, and I respect him.

Jeannine, also, has been a pleasure to know and, to paraphrase Ollie during a spat which broke out, a calming, kind and reasoned influence here I've found.

Georgie also is a valued contributor here who doesn't go out to cause controversy which, indeed, is what drew me to her thread this morning.

I didn't read the deleted post while it was published but it obviously has stirred up some strong feelings.

For me, whatever Dan has decided to do, stands against his proven record of doing the right thing for the good of the site.

I hope that we can have this new board.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 20:26:29 »
im wiv g to.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 22:53:32 »
Thank you for all your replies.  I've spent some time this evening trying to think of how best to respond.  I certainly didn't post this thread to start a 'votes for Georgie' campaign, although all of your kind comments are much appreciated.  But in hindsight perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I could have in my post.  So here goes:

When I said I found locking the thread unsatisfactory, I meant that I was amazed that Ken Kew (as a moderator) chose to deride a member of the forum in the way he did (at which point I complained to Dan - I doubt I was alone) and then Ken withdrew his comments with no apology.  After that the post was simply locked, whereas I'd have preferred a 'proper' reason, ideally one which said something like 'in the light of the above I am reviewing the way these boards are moderated'. That said, Dan has made it clear that he is dealing with the issues raised and as Hyacinth (sorry that still jars!) says 'whatever Dan has decided to do, stands against his proven record of doing the right thing for the good of the site'.

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 16:55:40 »
Not missed much since I've been away then  :o sorry to take sides but I can't see that Georgie said anything wrong and I've read it a few times.  :-X        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 17:55:19 »
Not missed much since I've been away then  :o sorry to take sides but I can't see that Georgie said anything wrong and I've read it a few times.  :-X        ;D ;D ;D

Welcome back, Kev.  It wasn't me who was verbally attacked it was another member who agreed with my post.

G x

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 18:08:23 »
Gotcha and thanks for the welcome.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal