Author Topic: Landfill  (Read 2914 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Landfill
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:53 »
this time of year gets to me..the amount of packaging on TOYS !!!!!
in case people don't know, you can put non metallic christmas wrapping paper on the compost heap..it bio-degrades, the metallic stuff is not good  :)

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 18:20:24 »
yes, thifasmom, there is a government built-in charge for the cost of recycling most things. In the case of tvs, fridges, and all other electrical appliances there is a token charge when buying (about £1.50 included in the price) which ensures that any appliance can be given back to any electrical appliance retailer (no matter where bought) free of charge to be thrown away.

However, I don't want to be continually extolling the virtues of this country's recycling procedures.

However again, prompted by the post from manicscousers I have to tell you that many Swiss, the older generation in particular, carefully unwrap their christmas presents and find time to iron the wrapping paper so that it can be used again.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 22:32:47 »
Thanks Busby for your contributions so far it was enlightening and refreshing to here of a country that has made the decisions that are needed and have made them work to the betterment of their citizens and in some small way to the betterment of the wider global society.

it was so good to hear not only it can be done but when done consistently it can work. now if only other rich countries would change the way they dealt with this issue. it would not only improve things for their own citizens but because they are greatly observed and followed by poorer countries, it would help in the improvement of this issue for the wider global society.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 21:07:33 »
thifasmom,
Well said! And to all other posters with positive comments!
Gotta be done, or where will our kids be, if not guided?
Keep up the good work!
 :D :D :D :D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 10:47:31 »
Here here.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal