Author Topic: Eglu anyone?  (Read 12383 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Eglu anyone?
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:53:25 »
Has anyone looked into getting one of these or got one? I'm pretty sure we're going to get one - if for no other reason than the MIL thinks it wouldn't be very practical!

We have a small urban garden, which is just within their guidelines for minimum size. Having grown up with chickens, I'm not too worried about that side of it. I've trawled the internet and think we're now almost ready... any thoughts from anyone?

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Eglu anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:55 »
Go for it Ollie - You need something to cheer yourself up!  Are you going to get the chooks that are supplied with the Eglu - ex batts - or special makes?

Keep us informed!

Old Bird

;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 13:05:05 »
Ha! I knew you'd think it was a good idea, OB!

The ones they supply look sensible enough to me - I know that Ginger Nut Rangers aren't the most exotic, but they're pretty practical. I actually prefer the look of a more conventional house for them than the Eglu, but after reading about your mite problem, the plastic sounds easier to keep them under control & we are pretty limited for space.

I like the idea of ex batteries, but we're only getting 2 and with what they've been through, as you know, they don't always do as well as more privileged chooks.

leon_geordie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 16:36:28 »
Hi,
We briefly looked at the Eglu - and think they are great, but the cost of them put me off.
Instead we are looking at a more standard wooden coop with a run, but plan to let them out as often as possible anyway.
But I'd say if you can afford them - go for it!
Cheers
l_g

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 17:28:39 »
We quite fancied the eglu but we talked to a couple of bird suppliers and they weren't keen.  They said the plastic might be easier to keep clean but was too cold in the winter and too hot in summer.  It looked good for people who hadn't kept chickens before but a wooden one was better.  But then they might say that anyway.  In the end we decided we would have to wait until we had more time but I would love to hear how you get on. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 17:58:36 »
Well, I've ordered one, with 3 chickens... Delivery is due for 20th October. I'm considerably more excited about it than Annabelle is! 2 Miss Pepperpots and a Gingerbread Ranger...

The cost of an Eglu worried us a bit too, but 2 year old second hand ones still fetch £250 and if you consider it as a depreciating asset, it's less bad. Also, our garden is 35 ft by 12 ft which I reckon is pushing it for an Ark or normal coop... I'm still not sure if they look poncy or cool!

We intend to have the house in the shade of a tree in summer, and nearer our house in winter so I don't think temperature extremes are as bad as they would be for a lot of people. Also, living in the town centre in the South of England, it's pretty warm all the time. At least that's what we hope!

Thanks for the comments - I shall update as & when there's news!

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 20:19:49 »
Yes I also looked at the eglu too, but decided it was too small and too expensive, although now after the red mites I wished I'd got one !!

I think they look really cool and trendy !

If you only have a small garden, what about the noise ? your neighbours?   My hens (no cockerel) are at the bottom of my garden ( which is about 130 ft long) but on a couple of occasions (usually around 6.30am on a weekend) they or rather one of them ,makes such a racket ! just a sort of 'crowing' noise but quite loud and they it wont stop until I go down to them and let them out into the bigger run !  God knows what my neighbours think !  the houses at the end of my garden are actually nearer to them than me! so they must be disturbed by them !!   I feel really bad about that

You always love your children more than they love you...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 20:24:32 »
Fortunately for us, there's a really busy road at the bottom of our garden, so the roar of traffic should drown out the sound of chickens! Well, it does mean that everyone has double glazing at the back of their house too!

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 13:09:33 »
Oh well you'll prob be ok then !  My neighbours do have double glazing but on one occassion when they were making a racket, i noticed that the house nearest (i dont know the residents) bedroom window was wide open as it was summer, I cant believe i didnt get a complaint !!  I have half a dozen eggs on standby as a sweetner !

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 13:12:10 »
It's a strange thing but... I find the sound of chickens clucking quite relaxing, whereas a dog barking is really annoying.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 14:35:01 »
Ollie

When you get the idea of clucking back and going on snail and slug hunts you will then get the full benefit.  Mine at home talks to to whoever is on the phone - not quite sure what she is saying but she thinks she is making sense - only a matter of time don't you think!

Yes their contented clucking is very peace inspiring - I also like the excited clucking when they see or hear me coming - that too is a welcome - which I appreciate!

Not long now til you get yours - or have you got them yet?

Old Bird

;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 14:55:53 »
20th October is "C Day"... we're open to suggestions for names- so far I like:

Martha, Sam & Ben (my siblings)
K,F & C (one of my friends suggestions)

Annabelle wants to call 2 of them Sam & the other one Ollie. She's very funny.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 15:05:56 »
Ollie

I like the name of the make of your bird Mrs Pepperpot and you must have a Henrietta in there too!

Old Bird

;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 18:26:40 »
we have a henrietta, ginger, baldy and baldy head ..don't know what we'll do when the feathers re-grow  ;D
mind you, we've 18 so they're not all named

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 19:17:32 »
We quite fancied the eglu but we talked to a couple of bird suppliers and they weren't keen.  They said the plastic might be easier to keep clean but was too cold in the winter and too hot in summer.  It looked good for people who hadn't kept chickens before but a wooden one was better.  But then they might say that anyway.  In the end we decided we would have to wait until we had more time but I would love to hear how you get on. 

Well I think that person was anti Eglu due to ignorance.  It is especially designed with a twin walled construction to be warm in winter and cool in summer!!

My two residents have no complaints!

Lousie
Grow yer bugger grow!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:33 »
Hi Louise

I agree - had I got the money and less space I too would have had an eglu!

The only reason I didn't was that I wanted the chooks up the lottie and the eglu is emminently "nickable" and "re-saleable"!  I do think they are very expensive though - but they are ideal for what they made for!

Old Bird

Incidentally Louise - you must be careful with typing your name otherwise people will be calling you Lousie!  That is my second name at the moment.  Just going up there to sort out my "louse" problem!!

Ann

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 11:35:07 »
You've got me itching all over again, OB, just thinking about it. Yuck!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:57:34 »
If my site does allow us to keep chickens I will get one of these and hang the expense.

After reading about these red mites and them hiding in the wood I am thinking no way could I put up with that. :'(

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 12:54:37 »
Ollie C - regarding names, I have 4 and they are named after the ladies on Coronation Street !  Dierdre, Blanch, Audrey and Gail !  thought this was fun

I also contemplated naming them after some sexy girl bands, like say the spice girls, or super models Naomi, Kate etc., just to take the p***

But if you have a little one, how about naming them after the tweenies, teletubbies or something like that.

Have fun !

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 15:17:37 »
You've got me itching all over again, OB, just thinking about it. Yuck!!!
just wait untill Annabelle starts school your gonna love the itchys she brings home for you
lbb

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal