Author Topic: Can I use normal seaweed on my allotment beds?  (Read 11479 times)

VegieBird

• Not So New ...
Can I use normal seaweed on my allotment beds?
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:34 »
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody has used normal seaweed on their allotment beds at this time of year?

I was thinking of gathering a little and digging it in to some of my raised beds.

Just wanted to check that it wasn't poisonous or something before I did it.

Any idead?

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Can I use normal seaweed on my allotment beds?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 13:02:25 »
Hi,
Many many years ago Helligan gardeners use to take horses and carts down to the beach and bring seaweed back by the ton. This was the only fertilizer that they would use.

Hope this helps

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 14:33:27 »
Hi  VegieBird!

I use seaweed all year round - normally I get loads during the late spring as this is when it is washed up on the beach.  For some reason - this time of the year there is very little to be found.

I don't normally dig any of it in - I just put it on the top.  I prefer it to dry out get brittle then chomp it in - it generally it becomes finer then, within the soil.  But I don't suppose that it makes a lot of odds either way.

I presume it is the chunky lumpy seaweed rather than the thin mulchy one?!  Only being nosy - as I would like some of the green stringy stuff!  I tend to try and scoop some sand up with it as well - as that goes and mixes well in the beds, although it is very heavy and technically illegal!

Old Bird

;D

VegieBird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 15:42:04 »
Thanks for the info all.

I created 3m x 3m beds - 6 in total about 9" high and put lots of manure in them. 

My brassicas did very well, but my leeks took ages to grow, so I think that my beds may be too acidic and may benefit from some seaweed to breakdown the manure a bit.

But I don't know the difference between calcified seaweed and washed up seaweed?  I think calcified seaweed may well just have been dried out. 

Also, Old Bird can algae be used from ponds?  Any good properties?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 15:57:24 »
VegieBird

Don't know about algae from ponds - are you talking the sludgy stuff from the bottom?

I would have thought that possibly no! Only from the angle that it is dead matter which has sunk to the bottom and no oxygen has got to it so I wouldn't necessarily use it!  Not really sure - to be honest - I have on occasions had to empty ponds and down there it is pretty much one of my worst nightmares all dark, gooey with the odd insect flipping in it - Yuk!  I don't suppose there is actually anything wrong with it - it is just my memories of doing it!

Good luck anyway - I am sure there will be someone along who will know whether it is good or bad!

Also don't know on the "calcified " seaweed - I just use it as it is!!

O B

;)
Old Bird

VegieBird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 16:00:51 »
Algae is the green cotton like floating green mass on top of the water.  Not Duckweed or sludge.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 16:14:07 »
i would believe that the sludge fond at the bottom of the pond and the algae/ blanket weed could easily be incorporated into the beds, but i just add them both to my compost bin when i tidy the ponds. don't forget to leave the removed algae/ blanket weed on the side of the pond for half a day or so to give the creatures in it a chance to get back into the pond.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 16:38:03 »
Oops! Wrong again!  Sounds like thifasmom knows what to do!!

O B ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 16:50:38 »
Oops! Wrong again!  Sounds like thifasmom knows what to do!!

O B ;D

:) Old bird my rule is if it is of organic material then it goes in the compost bin, if its diseased and I'm not sure it will breakdown in the heap then its burned and the ash then goes on the heap. same rule goes for weed seeds burn then added to heap, but i normally drown pernicious weeds such as bindweed, dandelion, etc wait for them to turn to mush and then you've guessed it ... throw on the heap. the remaining liqued is watered down at a ratio of 1:10 or a colour of weak tea and given to the veges as a liqued feed. the rule in my garden is, you are not allowed to use my soil's nutrients without paying rent to me, hence the drowing of weeds ;D.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 16:57:27 »
Since Calcified Seaweed is mainly Calcium, it would be detrimental on many soils. Unlike Seaweed Meal.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 17:02:53 »
Since Calcified Seaweed is mainly Calcium, it would be detrimental on many soils. Unlike Seaweed Meal.

what exactly is calcified seaweed, is it just dried seaweed/ or is it something else?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 17:46:32 »
"Calcified seaweed.
Although it is an excellent fertilizer and soil conditioner, especially for acid soils, it is obtained from the temperate ocean equivalent of coral reefs, and is being harvested in an unsustainable way. "

If we did use it, it would push up the pH of our soil too much.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 00:08:03 »
"Calcified seaweed.
Although it is an excellent fertilizer and soil conditioner, especially for acid soils, it is obtained from the temperate ocean equivalent of coral reefs, and is being harvested in an unsustainable way. "

If we did use it, it would push up the pH of our soil too much.

so its not actual seaweed but coral reef ???

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:35:57 »
I use the Maxicrop version, which doesn't use the coral type (info below lifted from their website), but I don't think any of the available manufactured types are coral based now. I have trouble stocking up on this as only a few remote garden centres seem to stock it!

Calcified Seaweed is no longer approved by the Soil Association for use in organic growing, due to concerns that the harvesting of this material is not sustainable and has adverse effects on the marine environment.

Cal-Sea-Feed is a blend of dried seaweed, harvested in a sustainable and environmentally benign system, and natural calcium compounds - formulated to give growers the benefits of Calcified Seaweed without the concerns.

Cal-Sea-Feed is rich in minerals, encourages beneficial soil bacteria, helps improve heavy soil structure and neutralises acid soils (do not use with acid loving plants).

Approved for Organic growing by the Soil Association.

I use it on my clay soil with very good results so far, the soil was very acidic in places where it had been compacted and not grown on for years. I also used seaweed my kids gathered from the beach on a day trip directly around some of my hungry plants this year, seems to have done them good, but I had trouble initially with the foxes who kept playing with it!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

VegieBird

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 21:53:28 »
Thanks for all the info, especially from Deb P.

I don't think I will be buying calcified seaweed, but I may try a little lime and a few handfuls of beach seaweed if I can lay my hands on some.

Not sure if it is legal to help yourself these days?

Maybe I will just stick with the lime then.  He..he..he.. ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 23:28:49 »

I don't think I will be buying calcified seaweed, but I may try a little lime and a few handfuls of beach seaweed if I can lay my hands on some.

Not sure if it is legal to help yourself these days?
AFAIK it's OK to take "detached" seaweed but much frowned on to harvest seaweed that is still anchored and growing.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 08:47:58 »
I think I've read that you should rinse or better yet let rain rinse the seaweed before applying it in order to avoid any build-up of salt in the soil.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 10:18:00 »
The amount of salt on the seaweed is pretty much negligible if it is not put directly on plants! It will wash through just like other minerals

As far as I know there are no laws prohibiting collection of seaweed,  vraiching, as told me by clever Mr Baccy Man!  I would only collect the loose stuff that has been washed up - I have never been far enough out to sea to fetch the stuff that is still growing.  It is about half a mile out at low tide!

Don't be put off and just use lime!  If you look at all the info on the fertilisers bottles/bags  you will find seaweed as one of the main ingredients.  So it is definitely good for plants and is a good soil improver and is a brilliant compost activator too! 

Best of all - It is FREE!

Old Bird

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal