Author Topic: My Pullets (with pics)  (Read 2010 times)

waitingforland

• Not So New ...
My Pullets (with pics)
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:41 »
I have recently ventured into keeping chickens (for eggs) and have bought 4 pullets POL. We have a Wellsummer and 3 light sussex, i spend hours just watching them.
Despite the plan just to have 4 in an ark we decided almost straight away to make them a much bigger run (fencing 1/3 garden for them) so they can be as 'free range' as possible and stay safe from the dogs.
Of course more space means we are loking for a couple more to join them  ;D but until the newbies arrive here are our current girls......

Someday soon i hope to have some land of my own!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: My Pullets (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:53 »
We have a Wellsummer and 3 light sussex, i spend hours just watching them.

Hens can certainly be fascinating to watch, even more so when they are your own.  Ensure you pick them up frequently so they become more used to human contact.  This makes it easier to catch to inspect should they become ill or injured. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

waitingforland

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43:00 »
  Ensure you pick them up frequently so they become more used to human contact.  This makes it easier to catch to inspect should they become ill or injured. 

Pick them up frequently LOL i usually have at least 1 in my lap having a cuddle  ;D They also know mommy has treats (i have read about keeping treats to a minimum and am trying hard to stick to it). They are being good girls and eating all thier pellets before afternoon mealworms, mixed corn or whatever else i have for a treat. The treats never seem to last long enough though, they get so excited when they see me and will happily take from my hands especially if i am not fast enough in handing them out  ;D

BTW i have caught my hubby out there talking to them and making chicken noises, this is the man who didn't want them and thought i was being daft! Now he is surfing the net for chicken breeds  :D
Someday soon i hope to have some land of my own!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:18:08 »
Are you sure he is not whispering 'sage and onion' when you are out of ear shot?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal