Author Topic: Thinking of starting with chickens  (Read 3078 times)

leon_geordie

• Not So New ...
Thinking of starting with chickens
« on: September 15, 2008, 16:03:34 »
Hi,
We are thinking of getting 3 ex bats (at home rather than the lotty), but before we start we just wanted to have a realistic opinion of the costs and time involved.

So, what do people feed their chickens?  How much do they need to be fed, and what's the cost of the feed?
With regards the house/cleaning etc, where do you get straw from for the nest boxes, how much does it cost?  Do you put anything on the house floor - how often do they need cleaning out?
Finally, how much time will we need to spend on them each week - i.e. how much looking after do they need, time spent cleaning, (talking to them....!), etc..

Cheers
l_g

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Thinking of starting with chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 19:08:34 »
Hens eat an average of 1 cup of pellets per day per hen.  We also feed ours greens and bread.  The more you put out - the more they will eat.  For 3 hens 1 bag of food will last you about 2 months.  They need cleaning at least once every 2 weeks to keep disease at bay.  You should feed and water them in the morning and evening.  Ensure they are protected from cats and foxes.  They need a perch in the hen house.  It will be cheaper to make one than buy one but it depends on the size and specification.  You can spend ages watching them.  If they are in your garden or let them roam when you are there.  You will need to put wood shavings on the floor that will need replacing.  I put cardboard down on first to prevent rot on the floor.  Crisp boxes from shops are free ;D

There is so much I could write for ages.  They are not as hard to keep as you may think but do need looking after daily.  Good luck.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 19:24:49 »
  Hi ktlawson

You make me want to have some chicks or chooks ?

Have a large garden that would give some ex bats a taste of heaven .
  There is a lot to consider though isn't there, you have to be there for them 24/7, know all about
  thier medical probs and poultry needs.

Still would like to have them in my life - OH would be over the moon  :)

Floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 19:28:54 »
   You make me want to have some chicks or chooks ?

If you have the time and real-estate then I would go for it.  Just get 2-3 for your garden.  They will give you ample eggs for your needs.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 19:30:00 »
I don't think they are a 24/7 hobby... We grew up with them in a big pen in a big garden. Most of the time they just needed a quick bit of feeding & looking for eggs. Maybe we had lucky ones, but they never needed medical attention and all lived until long after they'd stopped laying.

I'd love to have them again - thinking of an Eglu. I know not everyone likes them, but our garden would be almost big enough...

leon_geordie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 20:59:22 »
Hi Ktlawson,
Thanks for that.  We'd probably buy a house rather than build one.  I'm fine at DIY but I've got plenty of jobs to do without building a chook house as well.  I've been watching a few on ebay.  We'd get one with a run (or I'd build a run on the side), and then let them out in the garden (supervised!) as much as poss.
A few mins in the morning and evening to feed and water is fine and I guess we'd try and clean them out once a week.
Where do you get your supplies?  Wood shavings, food etc.

Cheers  :)
l_g

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:46:18 »
Where do you get your supplies?  Wood shavings, food etc.

I buy all mine from a local animal supply store.  They sell everything for most farm and domestic animals.  Reasonably priced and a wide selection of products.  Its huge

Cleveland Countrystore Ltd
Mill Holme Farm, Skelton Rd, Brotton, Saltburn-By-The-Sea, Cleveland TS12 2RY
Tel: 01287 679064

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:20:34 »

Finally, how much time will we need to spend on them each week - i.e. how much looking after do they need, time spent cleaning, (talking to them....!), etc..

How long have you got?  They do not demand much time at all - but once you get into conversation with chickens they just talk on and on and on!!!  They are really great company - my ex battery girls are really enjoying their freedom - but they are also giving me a lot in return - and not just eggs!

My girl at home is fabulous and puts the two dogs (both very large and boisterous) in their place.  She has the run of the garden and my house (when I am at home) she chats most of the time - we go on slug and snail hunts together - possibilities are quite endless!

They are very rewarding and I doubt that I will ever - now - live without a few chooks - either up the lottie or at home!

Old Bird

;)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 21:35:56 »
We got 4 ex batts just over a week ago and they're great fun - except when they found a nest of baby mice and ate two of them!   YUCK  Death by pecking and then being eaten doesn't look like a good way to go.....  I think I saved the remaining 3 babies but not sure if the mum came back for them or if something else ate them overnight.

Anyway, they ate, they poo, they lay eggs and they are fun to watch.  I do a poo pick up in the coop every other day or so and clean it out properly every weekend.  We have auboise in the hen boxes and house and we bought it from the local countrywide stores.  We also bought layers mash and pellets there too.

In addition to the food they also eat sweetcorn, slugs, snails, worms and any bugs they can find.  Oh and baby mice given the opportunity  ::)  They ignored the corn on the cob that I gave them and weren't too impressed with the bread or apple either.  I'll try them again now that they're settling in a bit more.  I think perhaps it was culinary overload for them for the first few days! :D

Morning, we put their food and water in the run and open the coop door.  When we get home from work we sometimes let them free range in the garden (sometimes not) and we collect the eggs.  At dusk they go to bed and we shut the door and bring in the food and water receptacles and fill them ready for the morning.  That's it!  Apart from the time spent watching them scratch about, trash my strawberry plant looking for bugs and today - getting stuck in the greenhouse and trying to peck the dog through the glass! ;D ::)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 19:23:12 »
You clean them out feed them and they eat all the bugs and give you eggs in return.  They also trash your garden if given a chance - so be firm.

In return - they give more amusement than I could ever have thought possible!!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal