Author Topic: What made you choose either a male or female pet?  (Read 3384 times)

cocopops

• Acre
What made you choose either a male or female pet?
« on: September 02, 2008, 20:09:33 »
My grandad (gone 7 years) would only have male dogs.   I had two pups last year and didn't think anything about it until someone asked why both boys.  I now know that it was because that was what my grandad said (I'm nearly 40 by the way). 

My cats are a mixed bunch, eldest 3 girls and neutered, little Sid (8 months)  had the chop today.  All rescued so we took them girl or boy.

What made you decide?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What made you choose either a male or female pet?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 20:15:53 »
had both male and female dogs and cats, never even thought about it, they've all been rescues so we took what we got  ;D
I have noticed the female dogs have been  quieter and the female cats were monsters  ;D

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 20:25:43 »
I followed guidance from "experts and breeders" who said if its your 1st experience of this breed get a female so I did but I prefer males and have always had males. Have to say though that the experts have turned out to be 100% correct.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 22:51:38 »
All the cats and dogs (m&f) we've had sort-ov chose us ;D

Lady dogs, tho, don't have this male obsession with humping or peeing on everything in sight ::)

Tom cats are gorgeous! Agree that lady cats are Prima Donnas!!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 22:56:39 »

Tom cats are gorgeous! Agree that lady cats are Prima Donnas!!!

Shhh!  My lady cat can read and if she sees this you're in for it!   ;)  ;D  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 23:00:02 »
Agree with that re lady cats.  My late OH had a lady cat that he had a "special" relationship with, she slept on his shoulder and shared his plate and they communicated just by looking at each other. Very unhealthy, but when I arrived on the scene she took an instant dislike to me, not surprisingly, really, even tho I'm very much a cat person.  When he died she mourned too, the vet put her on HRT (she was quite old by then) and she calmed down a lot and became much more a family cat, though she never accepted me.

Got two ginger lads now, didn't choose boys, was just what we were given from Cats Protection, but I'm not sure I'd have females again.  So long as they are neutered, that's the important part.
The Tuscan Beaneater

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 00:54:14 »
Girls every time for me. Not that it was ever a conscious decision, its just happened that way. Its been so many years now I doubt I could get on with a male specially a dog. A neutered tom I guess would be different..........but I dont speak from experience with boys ;D ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:51:39 »
Ginger toms all the way for me....such characters!  We have had a ginger female cat in the past which is quite unusual, they are more often tortoiseshell, but sweet as she was she was also neurotic!  :-\ All of our cats have been adopted from various sources, Max and Archie were on Freecycle! I admit to being a total sucker for sob stories when it comes to ginger toms, and my friends know it too, hence a long road trip to pick up Vic and his brother Bob (sadly an RTA victim 6 months later) from Liverpool when a midwife friend desperately needed to re home them from a closing cat refuge!

We currently have 3 ginger toms, Vic, Max and Archie, all very different in character. I've posted pics before, but here are my favourites ...

Vic....

Max...

and Archie.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:01:56 »
Absolutely gorgeous Deb. ;D All ours are and have been rescue animals-even the rats-and at present 1 dog, 2 cats, all female. We did have a redundant prison GSD (he hated the job) and he was mine. We had a special bond too. Even after 8 years I still miss him. But it never occured to me to favour a male or female animal.
Smile, it confuses people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 19:30:12 »
I've had a mixture of male and female dogs and neutered male cats. Since I'm quite good with dogs I might consider a male next time, because you don't have to deal with the bloodstains every 6 months, but in general I find male dogs more aggressive, smellier and needing a much firmer hand.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 19:33:29 »
Oh grawk,my last male dog was a sweetie,my female west Highland is a little

you know what!!!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 20:08:10 »
Deb I just love your boys.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 23:24:31 »
My two gingers like it when I wash the curtains - they swing from them
[attachment=1]
The Tuscan Beaneater

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 22:25:10 »
Fab ginger boys!! 8) ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

waitingforland

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 13:01:24 »
I've had male and female dogs but only ever neutered tom cats (i was warned about female cats!).
Can't say it makes much difference with the dogs, apart from obvious leg-cocking diff everything else behaviour-wise is the same (yes the girls hump too) and female dogs are much worse if they ever get into a scrap (they hold a grudge longer).

Currently have a happy family of 8 female dogs, 4 male dogs, 1 male/gelding horse and 4 female chickens.
Someday soon i hope to have some land of my own!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal