Author Topic: Do we mess about too much sometimes.  (Read 900 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Do we mess about too much sometimes.
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:13 »
I lost a frame of beans with the frost and winds in early June ..So I whipped em out .These had been grown in greenhouse and potted on as we do ..
I got my spare bean  seeds and poked 3 seeds in soil around each cane and thought please your selves now... There were cobra and mixed runners ..
I have been picking loads for about 2 or 3 weeks ...So I wonder do we mess about too early sometimes  potting em on etc .

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:49:51 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Do we mess about too much sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:50:58 »
Funny you should say this, but I was just thinking whilst weeding last night.  If I leave the allotment alone for a week, or two weeks whilst on holiday when I get back everything is brilliant.  I tend to water when it is dry, but my Italian friend doesn't water, just leaves it to nature.  Loads of weeds of course but it doesn't seem to affect the established plants.  I think sometimes things grow better when overgrown as the birds, squirrels whatever do not find the hidden produce.  I must have thrown a few parsnip seeds about and they have decided where they want to grow, not in the neat lines I thought (none have come up, so obviously don't like it there).  Some of the uncultivated sites have great stuff growing if ones investigates under the undergrowth, weeds etc.  Gooseberries, redcurrants seem to survive very well but mine unless netted all got eaten by birds.  Perhaps weeds are good and keep insects off the plants, well that is a good excuse not too weed to often.  I suppose what I am trying to say is the plants will decide for themselves which soil or position they wish to grow in and we should let them get on with it.  Frozen loads of runner beans last night, probably because we had heavy rain, watering is just not the same.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:54 »
Have the same problem with redcurrants etc this year as well. Last year when I took on the plot they were hidden by waist high grasses. So make it easier for met to pick them I put weed membrane down in the autumn so the bushes were free of weeds. The birds had the lot.....well 90% of the fruit this summer.

The only things that are sueful to grow early are my tomato plants as to get any kin of yeild I have to sow early as they are all outdoors. Pumpkins etc are sown before June but have to survive in a cold frame to protect against frost before being planted out. And that's it - beans only sown when conditions allow.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:24:04 »
Yesterday weeding uncovered a cherry tomato plant which seeded itself on the old  neglected compost heap amongst zinnias and squashes, well loaded with ripe toms and trusses of green ones looking healthier than those I've coddled.
I'll save some seed from them in case it turns out to be a tough variety since I certainly did nothing to nurture it.

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 13:09:00 »
it is a sentiment that I am all for - much as I think that immaculate plots look good I never have the time to make mine like that and don't think like that anyway - I stop hand weeding in June, beds get tidied when harvesting begins and crops do great, ok a bunch of weeds might be home to slugs and snails but can equally be home to other animals and insects

learn to love your weeds  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal