Author Topic: now and winter  (Read 1644 times)

mark45

• Half Acre
now and winter
« on: September 02, 2008, 15:08:15 »
hi guys as you know this is my first year with a allotment, so what do we grow as from now for winter? do we grow anything or dig it over and leave it till next season any advise would be grate,ps i have got sprouts in and peas and beans, anything else ?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: now and winter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 15:44:36 »
It's too late now, but you should have had purple sprouting broccoli planted out, tho in our case the cabbage whites have mauled them to death.  I can't bring bring myself to put  smiley.

valmarg

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 16:58:34 »
There have been quite a few threads on this. I don't think there's anything substantial you can plant now, but there are quick growing oriental vegetables like Pak Choi and salad leaves that will help fill the gap.

Check out this thread:  http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,45086.0.html

You can also buy seedlings e.g.

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/September_Delivery.html

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 16:59:06 »
check out the other post re: what to grow during winter it has some great links re: places to buy vege plants since you may have missed the sowing times here is the link:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,45274.msg452964/topicseen.html#new

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 19:27:11 »
You can buy overwintering onion sets to plant during September.  Also; winter lettuce can be sown up till November,  you may be able to get some spring cabbage plug plants to put in.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:03:12 »
do we grow anything or dig it over and leave it till next season

'Tis a personal choice. Some do, others don't. I would recommend getting some land cleared and cultivated ready for garlic and broad beans to be planted late October if you like these.

Try to get as much digging done as possible before Christmas. Prolonged wet spells after New Year often make conditions difficult or impossible for weeks on end.

mark45

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:42 »
 thanks guys you all a grate help, i guess i will get the ground ready for the next planting season i got my plot late in the year so be ready for next year,

thanks
mark

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal