Author Topic: blight and tomatoes  (Read 10079 times)

nastybritishgardener

• Not So New ...
blight and tomatoes
« on: September 02, 2008, 05:15:54 »
Reading all these threads about blight on tomato plants.
I have one question does any one have plants without blight. That are healthy
and producing good fruit currently. I can not be only one without blight problems.

I wonder what I am doing different then every one else on this board.
Since my plants are doing amazing. I just picked 4 kg of ripe fruit of 5 of my plants.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: blight and tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:58:32 »
My plants -indoors and out - are currently blight free. Matter of time I expect and luck. I don't spray either.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:53:53 »
Me too!

She says smugly - different story last year though!

Doing very very well in the polytunnel - the italian plum tomatoes are huge and ripening very quickly and there are hundreds of them!  I have drunk tomato soup for England, I have frozen as many will fit in the freezer, I have dried as many as I could - and now the chickens are getting quite a few and friends and work colleagues are all making ratatouille!

My greenhouse at home has the better quality tomatoes in and they are coming on apace, although I have some massive slugs that visit on a daily basis and as soon as I throw them out onto the road some more (or they are homing slugs) come back in.  I cannot pellet in the g/h as my chicken has daily access.  She has given up on the huge slugs too!  Don't blame her though!

Old Bird

;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:42 »
I only grow outside toms and last year was struck down with blight, this year I rigged up a cover over them to keep the worst of the rains off and so far no blight but production has been slow, they are full of toms, but only started to ripen last week I think the wet August month and constant overcast days slowed the ripening process down. But my neighbours outdoor toms are also blight free so we may just be lucky this year, or the blight hasn't got to us as yet :-\. I'm in Maidstone Kent by the way, where are you, cause that might also be a factor.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:06 »
wonder what I am doing different then every one else on this board.
Since my plants are doing amazing. I just picked 4 kg of ripe fruit of 5 of my plants.

As you've been told many times before, without photos your words are without meaning. Put up or shut up.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:13 »
No blight so far in the garden of allotment - big contrast to last year.  I like to think people have become more aware and are acting more quickly to destroy affected plants but we have only received one blight warning to date.

Growing about 75% of last year's varieties again with about 20 new varieties.
Still a lot of green fruit so no major harvest yet.

One change - but it probably isn't significant: for the last two years I have suspected that the bruising on the stems caused by string provided an entrance point for infection so this year I have only used Soft Tie for tying up my cordons - not a cheap option unless its life expectancy meets its manufacturers claims.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 14:04:51 »
wonder what I am doing different then every one else on this board.

As you've been told many times before, without photos your words are without meaning. Put up or shut up.
[/color]
ERISTIC Please enlighten me.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 14:06:06 »
I am also tomato blight free.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 14:20:05 »

ERISTIC Please enlighten me.

I may be wrong, but judging by the tone and grammatical and spelling idiosyncrasies (or mistakes as we pedants call them) of (his?) posts 'nastybritishgardener' is the same person as 'thegreatgardener'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 14:26:33 »
Blight? What's that? All my outdoor fruits are as healthy as I could wish.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 15:49:35 »
I am up to my ears in blight! Had a weekend away and came back yesterday to find that all of my plants had been got. I'm gutted as none of the toms had ripened yet! Have now got tray after tray of green toms which I've taken off the plants. Saying a little prayer that some at least come good.

This is the first year I've suffered with blight. Really gutted.  :'( :'( :'(

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 16:27:16 »
I only grow indoors and my greenhouse tomatoes are producing around 6lb of fruit a day....no sign of blight.

My greenhouse doors and windows have not been closed for about 2 months now.....I wonder if thats the reason why blight hasnt taken hold?.....it got my potatoes!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 21:37:49 »
Being careful to touch wood as I type  ;), my tomatoes have no sign of blight so far.  They are all outside as always.

I must confess I have not looked after them very well this year, but despite this they are all producing excellent yields, and started to ripen earlier than usual.  Treating 'em mean seems to have paid off!

I haven't got any photos so if anyone doesn't believe me, san fairy ann.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 21:47:35 »
Nastybritishgardener whereabouts are you located?
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 21:52:24 »
I must admit that I thought the same.  Great gardener and nasty gardener.  I am puzzled because I am relatively new to this site/game play.  Who is this person, I do not understand.  Everyone was talking so much about blight that I dug my tomatoes up at the allotment, but had enough before that.  I have some in the back garden that are OK.  People are panicking and saying we have to burn the plants, it is airborne, potatoes will be infected.  How do commercial tomato growers deal with this.  

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 21:58:41 »

One change - but it probably isn't significant: for the last two years I have suspected that the bruising on the stems caused by string provided an entrance point for infection so this year I have only used Soft Tie for tying up my cordons - not a cheap option unless its life expectancy meets its manufacturers claims.

Jusr want to pick up on this, please..Owl, there's a much cheaper way than Soft Tie for tying up cordons - tights! Cheap ones from the market/wherever. In the washing m/c at the end of the season & the ties will last for years :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 22:02:10 »
I must admit that I thought the same.  Great gardener and nasty gardener.  I am puzzled because I am relatively new to this site/game play.  Who is this person, I do not understand. 

All the same person.   Also known as gridgardener and rolet from last year.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 22:06:42 »
Borlotti  thegreatgardener/nastybritishgardener isn't worth worrying about.
Commercial growers grow under glass where it's less likely, and probably treat their plants as well if need be.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0803/tomato_blight.asp
As you can see conditions have been ideal for it this year sadly.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 22:22:57 »
Thanks for that.  I have looked it up and think I will try Ferline next year.  It also suggests Legend and Fantasio.  It is a learning curve, thought tomatoes were tomatoes, and was pleased to grow some, Gardeners Delight, but it is a new world to discover.  Does Ferline taste OK, is it for cooking or eating.  Still do not quite understand the undercurrents (or should it be undercurrants) on this site.

nastybritishgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 23:40:43 »
I have no idea who these other people are.  But I am only nastybritishgardener  and nobody else.
I just joined yesterday. I do not want be a part of this forum if it is just a collection  of trouble making trolls. If you have problem with these people I suggest you take it elsewhere or take it up with the moderator.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 23:45:01 by nastybritishgardener »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal