Author Topic: Allotment nibbling.......  (Read 1785 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Allotment nibbling.......
« on: August 31, 2008, 23:02:50 »
Anyone else just eat the sweetcorn straight from the plant like me to stave off those pangs of hunger when we are just too busy to go home for lunch?

What is anyone nibbling when they are peckish up there ............ ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Allotment nibbling.......
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 23:44:48 »
Oh yes, it is a great way to eat it..next best is to zap it in the microwave for 3 minutes still with it's coat on.

Asparagus tastes good straight from the ground, peas of course.

I live raw broccoli too.

Red peppers one of my faves snacks.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:35:49 »
(blush) everything    :-[

Sweetcorn, tomatoes, peas, beans, cabbage, the nasturtiums.. nothing is safe. As for PSB, I should net it for protection against myself - the pigeons don't get a look in when I'm about. And I can strip an entire parsley plant in around 5 minutes. Sometimes I even find myself looking longingly at the dug up roots of bindweed and wondering...

Oh, just remembered - NOT the potatoes (phew!)

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:28:42 »
So it isn't just me then?  I'm with you Amazin. Anything within reason: squash, toms, baby cukes, baby beans, and any thinnings of carrots and similar. Putting my smug hat on, I also have a Calor gas bottle, a burner and a sauté pan in the shed for sheer indulgences such as my all time favourites, broad bean tops. Also good is to bash various things with a bit of wood and roll them up in a suitable leaf but it can get a bit obsessive. Reduces food miles to yards and keeps my immune system active 8)

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

plantsrule37

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:21 »
I have found some caterpillars on my nasturtiums, they are black and yellow but some are turning a bit blue. I've put them in a pot and they are changing quickly, some already in cocoon stage. I've been looking around websites and I heard that they are the common white/ white cabbage butterfly. true? ???

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:39:38 »
Yes its the same little devil that eats your cabbages!!!  ;) they love nasturtiums!!

Duke :D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:53:17 »
I have my five-a-day every time I visit the plot  ::) ::) ::) ::)  Only 50% of the peas make it back to the house, and I have a good helping of raspberries, tomatoes wrapped in basil leaves, cucumber, lettuce, radiish, pepper, gooseberries, and anything else that's edible  :P :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 14:23:53 »
Me too, if it looks good I eat it. Made a mistake once of trying a weed that looked like something in one of Ray Mear's books.....yuk.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 17:24:55 »
For me its the blackberries growing around the site - and even better as I haven't had to do anything to them (sow/plant/weed/protect etc)!! None make it back home

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 17:32:45 »
Blackberries may be growing on a neighbours plot but my rule is that if I'm walking down the path and they protrude enough to scratch me - they're mine :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 19:44:44 »
Defo peas, never tried sweetcorn and always microwave naked, whats the benifit of leaving the coat on Jeannine.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 21:12:49 »
I do it in the oven with its coat on. All the moisture stays in that way.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 21:42:36 »
I have never tried microwaving naked without a coat on.  My OH might like it.  I usually have a coat/fleece on to save on heating.  I am very, very good as I always take sandwiches and a cold drink when I go to the allotment.  Might eat the odd raspberry but much prefer my food cooked.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:55:17 »
Microwaves tend to cook from the centre outwards and the steam from the hot core is trapped by the leaves. This has the effect of steaming the corn in its own juice.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, but my corn rarely makes it home.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal