Author Topic: Sweetest corn of all!  (Read 6621 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Sweetest corn of all!
« on: August 16, 2004, 22:57:17 »
I did it!  Yipee!!  They heard the whoops of glee for miles!!

And 10 minutes later............

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Sweetest corn of all!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 23:13:30 »
Well done, Emma Jane!!  I've tried nicking mine but the juice still seems clear so I haven't "harvested" yet, hope I'm as lucky as you.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 06:44:20 »
As with Asparagus remember that, after all that trouble, only the best butter will do!. Anything else is an insult. = Tim

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 08:42:05 »
Many congrats EJ - I remember you saying you hadn't been successful with corn before so you must be really pleased - it looks wonderful.  

I had no hope for mine as most haven't got beyond 3ft tall!  However, they are definitely growing cobs, even at that height so I may be lucky yet.  Hope they're as nice as EJs!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 11:52:08 »
yummy.  :P and also green face emoticon - mine died.
gone to pot :D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 12:31:51 »
......and another green face emoticon, mine get eaten by something before being ripe! We thought (hoped) it was birds so we netted them but it's something else. We did eat some of their left over half cobs, half ripe and could imagine how good they would be ripe!

Your corn must have been soooooo tasty EJ and also brace yourself for a wonderful tomato and melon glut. I can't wait for our second ripe melon, it won't be long now.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 12:59:36 »
Earwigs again - Ina? = Tim

Bloody Ploughman

• Not So New ...
  • When does summer arrive in Scotland?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 14:17:25 »
Your sweetcorn look very tasty, if you like corn so much have you tried growing them as baby corn.  We live in the Perth area and have just started harvesting the baby corn.  It's our first year on this allotment and next year I will be doubling the amount of corn grown, as it seems to have been a success.
By the way any spare cobs, send them our way ............please
Productive gardening
from
Bloody Ploughman

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 01:39:12 »
Well done again EJ.  :P
You're must worked hard on your allotment. All your vegs & fruits are going very well. I'm so jealous what the techniques please tell me. I'm still waiting for mine. When can you tell they are ready? I like to try some babycorn next year because I cannot get any seeds this year!

Yuet

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 02:11:26 »
Anyone wishing to grow true baby corn may want to try to find seeds for this variety:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=S13422

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:05:20 »
Have you tried this variety John? I would like to try baby corn as it is a firm favourite in our household.

Any more info you could supply would be gratefully recieved ;D

Ta
Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 09:16:32 »
Nice one EJ. I had my first one yesterday. What a difference from the supermarket ones, eh?
Someone asks, 'How do you know they're ready'.
The tassles on the top of the cob turn brown. Open up the top of the cob and press your thumb nail into one of the seeds. If a milky liquid shoots out, it's ready. Support the stem of the plant, grasp the cob and push downwards. It will break off cleanly. If you have more than one cob on the plant, take the bottom one first. Run for home!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 09:21:43 by kenkew »

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 20:29:09 »
Took the plunge today and picked five!  Boiled 3 in unsalted water but the other 2 I 'covered' in butter sprinkled on black pepper wrapped in foil and cooked in pressure cooker - ate them first and they were absolutely delicious. Mr W who doesn't eat tinned sweetcorn and very reluctant about shop bought was raving about them so reward enough for all my worry.

Anyway they were all delicious - now I know what you have all been goping on about - there simply is no comparison.

by the way Ken your step by step instruction on picking came in handy!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 21:39:07 »
Tassles turned brown but cobs not full to the top so asked another plotter and she said they should be more yellow?
I have been going for the advise on this site about pointed or blunt to tell cos don`t like to open and test too much cos the bugs get in. picked 21 last week and sneakily ate one while Becky was out!!! nice! more ready soon. definately on next years list... :D

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 09:24:06 »
I picked one of mine the other day... It was lovely!  Misses is well gutted as she has just started Atkins Diet and cant have one...  :-X

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 20:47:20 »
Atkins diet!!!
My other half is on a sea food diet

Sees food she eats it!!!

But I sneaked the first sweetcorn cos she went shopping and came back and found the evidence!!!

Andy H

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 22:33:53 »
Picked another 20 today.  Wow they are gorgeous.  Number one son ate one as though it was to be his last meal.  Wish number one daughter would eat them!  Bumper harvest of corns for us, planted out 40 plants, each one has at least 2 cobs on, and so far I have only picked 22 cobs!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 09:00:44 »
I tried one of mine yesterday too.  Gorgeous... was a Supersweet.  Never tasted anything like it.  Deffo on next years list :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2004, 10:35:04 »
So - you all waited for your toms, & we're now waiting for our corn. Can't have everything! = Tim

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2004, 19:05:28 »
Planted 49 corn, some had five on!!!
Picked 21 the other day and 30 today,less 3 that got devoured! Should have gone for the bigger chest freezer! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal