Author Topic: Veg to grow over winter  (Read 5646 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Veg to grow over winter
« on: September 02, 2008, 13:09:55 »
Hi, I was new to the allotment last year and after spending months and months fighting with couch grass etc I managed to clear my 5 rod plot in time for winter but only grew spinach and Japanese onions. I was hoping to be more productive this year and wondered what other people grew over the winter months.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Veg to grow over winter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 13:22:00 »
Brassicas & leeks, but it's a bit late for those now. But garlic goes in Oct/Nov, the same as onions. Broad beans have been good for the last couple of years; they don't do well if it's a cold, damp winter. You could even try peas, although I've never had much success with them over-winter.

Salad stuff - red chicory, hardy lettuce (under cloches). And it's still worth sowing beetroot & spring onions.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 13:22:47 »
I have sprouts, leeks, carrots, cabbages and cauli hopefully to keep us going. Oh forgot, some charlotte potatoes that should be ready for Christmas  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 13:31:58 »
If you don't have time to grow your own for this winter you could always use a site like this. Winter collections already started for you.
 ;D
http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk/search.asp?types=yes&type=Winter+vegetable+gardens
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 14:45:33 »
I will be sowing cauliflower & calabrese in October which I overwinter in the coldframe plant out March (hopefully) and get a lovely harvest very early before all those nasty cabbage whites get going! I also sow peas and mangetout in guttering for the coldframe and plant out as early as weather permits.
I sow  winter lettuce (under cloches)using a good selection and harvest as cut and come again throughout winter, then early spring leave to grow on to normal size lettuce, this has worked well for me the last two years.
Its also a good time to sow your own onions for overwintering,  seed sown onions always  do better for me than sets.
I aways sow my broad beans in October, I am prepared to give them a little protection against the wind, but the advantage for me is they stand up well against the black fly.
I do try to make the Lotti earn its keep all year round so my winter goodies will include parsnips,leeks,sprouts,psb,spinach,chard,salad leaves, I do find my cabbage seems to sit and sulk until spring then does really well.
Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 16:18:02 »
Lauren

Brilliant website for people with little time or the odd gift.  Thanks for that!

Old Bird

;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 16:42:40 »
I have just received some very healthy broccoli plants from here and have others on order:

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/September_Delivery.html

T.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 16:51:20 »
For ready grown seedlings there's this place too:

http://www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk/

I have just ordered the winter veg mix from them.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:20 »
Thanks a bundle for that address - our usual supplier, Delfland, are out of stock.

Nice to know that the nursery is near Bude - where my parents met & where much of our family have lived.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal