Author Topic: when should I harvest mi pumpkin  (Read 961 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
when should I harvest mi pumpkin
« on: August 28, 2008, 20:20:00 »
Worried my only pumpkin may get stolen nearer to Holloween and would like to know If I can arvest it now and keep it in garage?

Its gone orange already but is it still growing?

And...will it save for holloween? ???

I know there is a dedicated forrum for this but it doesn't seem to be visited that aften, any help much appreciated  :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: when should I harvest mi pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 20:55:48 »
Hi, yes you can harvest it now, to test for storability, press with yout thumbnail if it leaves little or no indentation it will store fine, if it is soft it will store for less time. Unless it is very immature it should be fine for Halloween. Leave a length of stem on it on it, but don't pick it up by that. the length gives it less chance of getting bacteria into the fruit which might happen if you cut it close..oh and do cut it, don't pull it. Wipe it down with a mild solution of bleach, about 1-10 with water, this will kill any surface mold etc

If you put a candle in for Halloween. don't use for food afterwards.

Use any flesh you cut out for food when fresh and don't forget to roast the seeds  when you take them out, they are good.

Have fun.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 21:08:46 »
don't forget to roast the seeds  when you take them out, they are good.

Jeannine - thank you -  somehow the idea had passed me by.  Pumpkin seeds  ??? ???   roasting them (instead of composting  ??? ??? ???  Now that's one less thing to buy from the ******* supermarket  :P :P :P :P :P  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 21:24:05 »
You are very welcome.. I love passing that tip on.

Enjoy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 19:09:28 »
Hi Jeannine

I am really glad you relied, I asked you many pumpkin related questions earlier in the year and with your advice I have managed to grow a beauty...with seeds from my pumpkin.

Still no idea of the variety but its grown massive and for a while looked like a courgette...but round if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help x ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal