Author Topic: Autumn sown Parsnips  (Read 9788 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Autumn sown Parsnips
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:02:39 »
Has anyone ever sown parsnip at this time of the year?

I've just done a germination test of my parsnip seeds and now have a potful of emerging seedlings and was wondering if it would be worthwhile planting them out. Will they make early roots or simply run straight to flower?

If left to nature those seeds that I harvested would have been scattered to the winds over the past few weeks and left to germinate at their own pace, probably in early spring.

Tyke

• Half Acre
Re: Autumn sown Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:20 »
I sowed my parsnips at the end of June (the very end of the recommended period on the packet) and i am not sure that they have germinated yet. Do you have a photo of the seedlings so that i don't weed them out??

I planted them late-ish and so put them a bit closer together, assuming that the growing period would be shorter and i would have smaller parsnips....They are supposed to be hardy and tolerate frost well

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:13 »
This is what I'm thinking. I'm so sick of germination problems I may keep a couple for seed, and try planting them while the seed is still fresh.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:07 »
When is the official time to sow parsnips as i want to grow them for the first time, at the correct time.  Anyone please.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:46:42 »
I sowed mine in April but as we know it can still snow etc. I sowed three or four seeds at each station and still some didn't germinate so keep some seeds back to fill any germination gaps.

It's gutting to have to thin them after all the trouble you go to!

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 19:04:37 »
When is the official time to sow parsnips as i want to grow them for the first time, at the correct time.  Anyone please.

depends on the variety. Most need to be in the ground in the first half of the year, but i believe that there are some you can put in iin the autumn - might appear in shops when new season seeds appear...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 19:12:36 »
Sow from late Feb until the end of May, harvesting from Oct until Feb. I sowed mine on Apr 3rd and had harvested the year befores a week before I sowed these. I pulled some last week and froze some and give a few away, so I don't know what they taste like yet, but they are best left until the cold spell which enhances their taste.I'm no expert but knowing they need a long growing season 8/9 months, I would say its too late as they will probably stop growing as the weather gets colder, I may be wrong so someone else may give us better advise, well that's my three pennith anyway.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 22:40:42 »
most of the seed hang on the plant until the spring.Some fall in the autumn, and may germinate, but if it was a feasible option don't you think the commercial growers would be at it? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 22:43:10 »
i believe that there are some you can put in iin the autumn

I wonder if it would work with seeds of mini-parsnips - they might get away with a shorter growing period as they're smaller. I have some 'Dagger' seeds left over. Oh what the hell, I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured, eh?...

:)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 23:09:14 »
most of the seed hang on the plant until the spring.Some fall in the autumn, and may germinate, but if it was a feasible option don't you think the commercial growers would be at it?

You are mistaken. The seeds started to shed from my plants towards the end of July when I harvested the bulk of the seed.

Commercial growers do as they are told, whereas I was wondering what would happen if small plants overwintered? I must presume from the total lack of experienced replies that nobody has actually done this or know of anyone having sown and overwintered therefore once again I will have to be the plonker that tries it.

I have a bucket full of seed and will be sowing my maincrop of parsnip around mid Feb, as I have always done along with my father, grandfather, great-grandfather etc. but I have a potful of seedlings going to waste and was wondering how they would fare.

Commercial growers would also be unable to get their paws on fresh seed this early and I doubt that there would be any benefit from sowing in late November against February sowing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 23:11:15 by Eristic »

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 23:32:05 »
I must presume from the total lack of experienced replies that nobody has actually done this or know of anyone having sown and overwintered therefore once again I will have to be the plonker that tries it.

Did our posts cross Eristic? I think you'll find if anyone's going to be a plonker round here, it'll be me, d'you hear? ME!!

;D
Lesson for life:

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:20:03 »
amazins' always right! ;)
i think with the seasons being so topsyturvy thes days we have to do lots more experimenting-and the seedlings have two chances right?
i intend to bung in what evers left in my seed box...think i'll give the melons a miss tho...-after all-how does a carrot seed know i've missed the 'closing date'for sowing?
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 13:28:00 »
"after all-how does a carrot seed know i've missed the 'closing date'for sowing?"
Day / Night length, soil temperature, angle of sun......Plants are responsive to many factors! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 14:23:28 »
some of those factors are changing tho, ok so not day length or angle of the sun but weather and therefore soil temps, ive beaten u all to it n chucked some seeds in  begining of this month, i think theyre germinating theyre as quick as carrots (lol!) but im thinking as u say nothing ventured... id say as the seedlings would go to waste anyways theres no harm in chucking em in if youve got the space and see how it goes? just so long as u share ur experience with us! only time will tell i guess  ;D
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 23:21:26 »
Plants are responsive to many factors!

Yes, but are the day/ night length and angle of the sun factors affected by weeks on end of overcast, cloudy weather?

I'll give it a go anyway - if all else fails, I'm sure MY plants will respond to a stern talking to.

;D
Lesson for life:

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 08:11:25 »
[Day / Night length, soil temperature, angle of sun......Plants are responsive to many factors/quote]
yes-and these are all over the place these days!!!so-experimentation needed!! ;D

if i was on the receiving end of one of amazins'stern talking to i' d buck meself up and grow tootsweet! ;)
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:27:25 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D I think I'll ask you to get yourself up here Amazin and have a word with my stuff, your plants thrive lovely  ;D ;D ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 10:39:04 »
Hi all, I have sown carrots mid August, the packet said July, they seem to be coming along fine, I am going to try some other stuff, will let you all know how I get on.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 21:01:51 »
i think id better get in line then, my stuff needs a stern talking to too! and the slugs a big telling off!!  >:(
amazin help!!!!  ;D please!!!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 23:29:28 »
Blimey! I'm a consultant!

Now, let's discuss my fees...

;D
Lesson for life:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal